Duk

BBQ PITMASTERS

I didn't see the one last night, but I saw one about two weeks ago that included a guy from McKinney TX where I live. Argh. I am so embarrassed. Though funny, he was incredibly arrogant, fell asleep and let his fire go out, burned his chicken, didn't understand the judging rules and ended up 47th out of 47 competitors! I'll never eat at his place again......

I did like the show and Myron from Jack's Old South. I notice that he injects his brisket and does the high temp cooking method discussed here.

I saw the same one that Sean saw. Myron breaks just about every rule regarding low-n-slow and uses TONS of lighter fluid to get his plain ol' charcoal briquettes lit. You could see the other "PitMasters" looking at him in disdain as he literally poured a quart of lighter fluid on his charcoal.

At the end of the day, Myron is standing on the pedestal as the grand champion. Kinda chaps yer hide, eh? Even more laughable, he says no one learns his techniques without ponying up $750 bucks for his BBQ class!

In regards to the guy from McKinney, TX. I would eat at his restaurant. He "gets" restaurant food. He just got a humble lesson in restaurant quality does NOT equal BBQ quality. We can argue amongst ourselves which is better but I would eat under a Grand Champions tent before stepping foot in most restaurants! LOL :lol:

I saw the same one that Sean saw. Myron breaks just about every rule regarding low-n-slow and uses TONS of lighter fluid to get his plain ol' charcoal briquettes lit. You could see the other "PitMasters" looking at him in disdain as he literally poured a quart of lighter fluid on his charcoal.

Exactly, the difference between what wins bbq contests in the south and what most of us would consider good cooking practice are about as related as apples and tuna. What wins is what I would call "meat candy" as opposed to good food. A salt and pepper cook from Texas can be a decent cook yet fail miserably on the contest trail where the flavor expectations are off the chart sweet.

I've seen other contests judged by more mainstream food people from different regions where Myron has failed and was criticized by the judges for burying the meat flavor with fruity sugar water injections. He went away cussing and saying they had no idea what contest bbq is supposed to taste like. He is good at what he does but he's a one trick pony.

Reality TV is anything but IMO. It's about creating fake drama where none exists.

oc

yeah, I can believe that reality is skewed, both by the TV show as well as by the judges and regional differences.

I did happen to see a repeat of the one mentioned originally which included a visit to Big Bob Gibson's. Chris Lilly fixed several things including the lamb chops from his cookbook. I happened to do these a few weeks ago and they were excellent. Can't do them entirely on the Komodo though because you essentially do a sear, then cook, then sear again and you can't get the cooker to change temps fast enough. (See, still one good reason for having my gasser next to the KK) He also did the brisket wrapped scallops which look great, but so far, I haven't had enough brisket left over to try them.

\Can't do them entirely on the Komodo though because you essentially do a sear' date=' then cook, then sear again and you can't get the cooker to change temps fast enough. (See, still one good reason for having my gasser next to the KK)[/quote']

Nah, you just need a second KK - I do low temps on my 23" and high temp stuff on my 19.5" :)

I did see the episode where they went to Big Bob Gibson's today. Chris Lilly hosted our "Pit Masters" in very classy style. Myron must be VERY afraid of Chris as he tends to run his mouth the most about people he feels is competition!

I noticed Chris has two KK's at his restaurant - A gloss black and a blue. Nice!

I just watched this show yesterday. I liked it. I thought it was pretty good.

One thing I didn't like was Myron's attitude. He seems like a bully. Maybe I'm misinterpreting his ball busting though. Maybe he's a good guy :?

There is definately some drama there for the camera--but it still has some ideas and it's fun to laugh at. I agree about Myron but like I said it's prob for the camera