cruzmisl

This looks really interesting. Any thoughts?

But it doesn't actually get the advantage of a rotisserie, which is that the direction that fat and juices are falling is constantly changing, keeping more of them in the meat...

Except for the trays, it DOES remind me of the Brazilian rodizio system, where the chunks of meat (on skewers) are moved around on a chain drive system so they pass closely over the coals, and them move up and over the bed at height to get some smoke, before coming down and makin another pass over the coals. The best of these systems also rotates the skewer, so a slightly different side of the meat gets exposed to the coals on each pass.

cool device

Looks like the main advantage of the ribolator is for gas grills, in that it will do two things. First it looks like it increases the food capacity, and second it prevents one food from being in a hot spot and another food in a cooler spot. Neither of these is an issue in the KK. There is plenty of capacity and pretty even heat from the thick ceramic. But it is a cool toy! And it would impress your guests to pop the lid open and see that thing going around.

fitment

From the Ribolator website:

"You will need a tape measure.

1st place your rotisserie rod and motor onto your grill

2nd remove the grill grates (cooking surface)

3rd depth: (up and down) from the center of the rotisserie rod measure down to the heat plate covering your burners. You will need 5 ½ inches clearance, if you do not have 5 ½ inches, then remove the heat plate covering the burners and re-measure.

4th length: (end to end) now measure lengthwise. You will need 19 inches from end to end.

5th width: (front to back) now measure the width (side to side) you will need 12 ½ inches. The video says 10 ½ inches, this is incorrect.

If you find the above measurements will work in your grill, then the Rib-O-Latorâ„¢ will fit."

In the 5th step above, "Width" actually refers to front to back dimension on our KK's. Looks like you would have to cut the main rod to fit inside the KK, but the rotating device itself seems to fit.

It doesn't come with a spit rod so that will have to be cut ot length anyway. A piece of 3/8" round stock has to be welded on so it will fit on the left side of the K.

I'm still deciding if I want to give it a whirl. Its $90 and the guy will send one out for a 30 day trial-for free I might add.

Again I probably don't need it but I don't need a guru either and I bought one of those :)

Dennis, do you have any thoughts on this?

I made a square 12.5x19". The taper doesn't allow it to rotate freely but it's just too big by a bit. He said the trays are 18" and a shorter version with 16.5" tray will be available in mid February. The 19" measurement includes the brackets which are at the center and there is plenty of room for that. I have an appointment so I'll check and see how the 18" measurement fits when I get back. Worse case the 16.5" should fit.