cruzmisl

I hate spring for one reason.....

Today it's 50F and sunny. A marked departure from all the snow and cold temps we've had. I'm really enjoying it. Trouble is I decided to clean off the gunk that has accumulated on my coooker for the last 6-7 monhts and its a b!tch. I tried using a Mr. Clean pad and lots of soap but that didn't quite remove all the brown stains on the stainless/tile. I don't have this problem in the summer because I can keep on top of it.

Anyone have any better suggestions? I know Dawn Power dissolver http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/powerdissolver.do would work but not sure if it's too harsh for the grout. I brushed it on the stainless being sure to keep it off the tiled portion and it worked great.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Kelly's Cleaner

This is the formula My son gave me. We use for wiping down everything in the house.

Use one of those yellow green (gently) sponges and do the KK. Will look like new when finished.

Kelly's Cleaner

Combine the ingredients below (in the amounts listed) into an empty one-gallon container. Now... shake briefly and then add water to the top of the container.

AMOUNT: INGREDIENT:

1 qt. Rubbing alcohol

1-cup Parsons lemon ammonia

1-teaspoon Dish washing liquid

1-cup Simple Green (optional)

21 oz. Brand name all-purpose

(409 or Fantastic)

TOP OFF YOUR GALLON CONTAINER WITH WATER

Now...pour solution into a small spray bottle and your money saving all-purpose cleaner is ready to use!

I use the Simple Green

Let us know your results

Awesome stuff!!!

Cook_Shack:

Thanks to you and your son for the cleaner recipe. I made up a batch yesterday (with the Simple Green) to clean my KK and other misc patio items and it was incredible!! I've never used any cleaning products other than those found in a supermarket and this is so far superior its ridiculous. It took sap off my gas grill with no elbow grease required. And, my KK is sparkling in the sunlight again. I just love it!!!

Susan

Don't vary the recipe

Neither of the specified all-purpose cleaners (409, Fantastic) contain bleach. One cannot substitute an arbitrary cleaner here without checking the ingredients.

Nearly everyone who experiments with homemade mixtures like this knows the most important equation:

Ammonia + Bleach = Death

Google this first, if you didn't know this, and have any temptation to modify the recipe given here. I label my cleaning products with a sharpie if they have either of these ingredients, and include this equation for the benefit of anyone borrowing my apartment.

Re: I hate spring for one reason.....

@Syzygies:

Point well taken. I was already aware of the dangers of combining bleach and ammonia. I should have posted this link then. Better late than never. Check out this link, those who are tempted to combine ammonia and bleach.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_ ... nd_ammonia.

Re: Kelly's Cleaner

This is the formula My son gave me. We use for wiping down everything in the house.

Use one of those yellow green (gently) sponges and do the KK. Will look like new when finished.

Kelly's Cleaner

Combine the ingredients below (in the amounts listed) into an empty one-gallon container. Now... shake briefly and then add water to the top of the container.

AMOUNT: INGREDIENT:

1 qt. Rubbing alcohol

1-cup Parsons lemon ammonia

1-teaspoon Dish washing liquid

1-cup Simple Green (optional)

21 oz. Brand name all-purpose

(409 or Fantastic)

TOP OFF YOUR GALLON CONTAINER WITH WATER

Now...pour solution into a small spray bottle and your money saving all-purpose cleaner is ready to use!

I use the Simple Green

Let us know your results

I love this stuff for cleaning my KK and most everything else around my house and make batches for my mother as well. But I have some dark marks on the door of my lower vent from my high temp cooking. Is there anyway I can clean that up? Its not terribly unsightly or anything but I have the rest of my KK gleaming right now.

Susan

Re: I hate spring for one reason.....

Cleaned my KK mid cook this weekend (the cook I video taped) and you can see what a difference a little water and vinegar made when I post the video. I couldn't get the stainless under the top hat because I was mid-cook but I plan to get in there prior to my next cook with a green/yellow sponge and the same mixture. Worked like a charm and super easy.