myself888

Low and Slow Pulled Pork Loin

We have this 7lbs Kirkland boneless pork loin in the deep freeze and would

normally cut it into thick steaks for grilling; however, I just saw a comment

from Jeff about doing a low/slow pulled pork loin and decided to ask for advice.

2oN5r.jpg

Rub or not?

Brine or not?

Inject or not?

Same basic low/slow technique?

-225* to 235*?

-How many hours?

All advice welcome.

I don't think you'll be happy cooking it to that stage. If it were me, I'd cut it into thick (double chop) medallions, brine them in a light brine (< 1/2 cup salt per gallon, but at least 1/3 cup, and less sugar), and smoke/cook them to 140-145 F internal (to taste)

When I buy this cut, I get it from a butcher bone-in, and cut off a very meaty rack of country ribs, to cook 6 hours like spareribs. That portion around the bone benefits from the long slow cook.

More frequently I do a "house-cured ham" recipe, making up a seasoned brine and computing the salt.

Normally I do fresh loins, less than a week old from Costco generally. I don't brine, just a dry rub in whatever flavor I'm in the mood for. Frozen I'd probably brine first to try to restore some moisture. I cook at 220F until I get the insides to about 195F - often I'll overshoot over night and have had success up to 205F internal temperature.

My argument for pulled loin is that it may be dry but it pairs fantastically with a sauce. If you don't like BBQ sauce or don't like dry pulled pork as much as I do it may not be for you, but it may be worth an experiment. Otherwise I'd look at a tenderloin for pork "steaks" or roasts, but loin is also great sliced and braised with apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and slivered onions if you are unfortunate enough to have to cook inside :)

Naturally, there is no comparison to a good low/slow pulled pork butt;

however, I like the loin idea as another option - especially since I love

vinegar with meats. Heck, I make chicken salad sandwiches with leftover

dry breast meat, so why not cut out some calories and make a nice

pulled pork sandwich with a vinegary slaw.

Since it has been frozen, it won't make great steaks anyway, so brining may

be called for.

Just for kicks, I might just thaw it out and inject it with something that

resembles your vinegar and the Lilly injection solution.

I found your post from last year with the pictures - that sealed the deal. I'll

post my experiment soon.

If you love vinegar as much as I do you won't be disappointed!

Chris Lilly's book has a lot of great recipes. I do a variant of his Western Carolina Pig Dip (page 224) and his Crisp Spicy Southern Mustard Coleslaw (page 76) is a great hit - but instead of mayo use horseradish mayo (I can find it by the mustard at my local supermarket). Remember, the best part about these recipes is that you can modify them to make them your own!