LarryR

Brisket Grade

What grade of briskets are most of you doing in your KK's? I'm doing a brisket cook soon and I'm considering spending a little extra and getting Waygu for $4.25 a lb. However, with how well the KK maintains moisture, I'm wondering if I really need to spend the extra or go with a CAB Choice packer.

Ahh, the purebred/mutt debate. I'm reminded of Niman Ranch when they ventured into pig, they preferred crosses to the breed-of-the-moment (whose name escapes me), because they could survive out in the cold better, which led to better meat.

Wagyu is an expensive variant on dead cow. Independently, one can explore "grades" within more generic beef.

The two best briskets I've ever made: #1 was an organic brisket, frozen, picked up in a parking lot meeting like it was a drug buy, from someone who'd given up on our working class farmers market as too downmarket for his wares. I'd kept his number. Very good marbling.

#2 was natural beef from the butcher at the San Francisco Ferry Building, indoors from the farmers market. They have their own dry aging room, and I had the brisket aged 8 days. Next time I'd try 4 or 5 days, one could eat the brisket with a spoon. Everyone who'd missed the #1 brisket thought this one was remarkable.

And I've missed a lot. Indifferent meat makes indifferent barbecue. One would think this is an easy lesson, but I keep learning it.

The best brisket I've had out was from Elgin, TX. I'd guess they're cherry-picking pretty standard beef, they go through way too many per day to be giving each animal a night in a spa/brothel, or whatever it is Waygu does.

Organic doesn't always translate to best results. For example, we bought beef cheeks once to duplicate a New York bistro favorite, and it was like eating Charlie Chaplin's boots. We figured the organic cows had smiled too much.

Two in a case

Well, I'm going to put off doing my Waygu brisket and go with a Choice CAB. Turns out my butcher has to order the Waygu two at a time and thus I need to buy two. Need to find someone here who wants a Waygu packer, Craigs List?

Larry, I think you made the right choice. I was ready to write what I was really thinking, and then I thought" why should I tell someone that they shouldn't try something, it could turn out surprisingly well". That being said I think you may have been disapointed in trying a Wagyu brisket.There are several levels to Wagyu based on marbling score, and I don't think everyone is on the up and up when it comes to that...it's not a USDA certification, only select,choice and prime are worth your time from lesser to greater.I've gotten a fair amount of Wagyu that didn't look any better than the USDA Prime that we sell everyday.But,THAT being said, a wagyu brisket will have a different flavor profile than other breeds,if you've ever been fortunate enough to taste some. I find the flavor to be a bit more intense,a bit mineral like, not unlike what dry aged angus beef can obtain. Craigslist may be a viable option if you want to split a bag 'o brisket! One thing that isn't well known is that Wagyu is generally higher in Omega3 fatty acids, so more fat=lower cholesterol...according to a few University studies, and if you're concerned about such speculation. Have a great weekend, Dave

Re: Two in a case

Well' date=' I'm going to put off doing my Waygu brisket and go with a Choice CAB. Turns out my butcher has to order the Waygu two at a time and thus I need to buy two. Need to find someone here who wants a Waygu packer, Craigs List?[/quote']

Larry, where are you? I'll share that case with you if we can figure out how to get it to me in Millbrook NY.

Susan

Hi All-

I have tried several waygu briskets from a butcher in Kansas City (Arrowhead Meats). There are multiple grades (my recollection is all were more marbled than US Prime), all were packer cut in the range of $4/lbs + shipping. I thought they were great, and recommend trying one.

Ordered a Wagyu Brisket

Ordered a Wagyu brisket from my butcher for next weekend and hopefully I won't F this cook-up. From the advice I've been given and what I've read she'll be done at a lower temp and I should cook her at a lower temp, 210 - 225 is what I'm reading. Should be a fun (but nerve-racking) cook I'm sure.

I'll be sure to post my results.