cruzmisl

Man! These house sparrows are vicious!

Hi All,

I have lots of golden finches in my yard that were being bullied by the sparrows. I decided that enough was enough and bought a repeating sparrow trap. Here is where it gets interesting. I tried bread and millet for 10 days and nothing so I decided to try something unusual. I took a robins nest the sparrows destroyed, then took the empty robins egg shell they also destroyed and put it inside the nest. This was then placed in the bait portion of the trap. two days pass and I have 3 male sparrows. They just wanted to destroy that egg. WFT!

Hey Cruzmisl, the best attractant I found when I lived in Alberta was my Purple Martin house! :mad: Those little buggers would start nesting before the Martins arrived and filled the condo cubicles with so much crap that the Martins couldn't use them.........

My solution, .177 cal............ :D

T Rex

I'm getting dirty now. I used two blue Cadbury mini eggs and put those in the nest too :)

I don't have a pellet gun and live in a neigborhood anyway. My luck I'd miss and bust my neighbors window.

I never realized what a nuisance they are to the native songbird population

Re: Man! These house sparrows are vicious!

Hi All,

I have lots of golden finches in my yard that were being bullied by the sparrows. I decided that enough was enough and bought a repeating sparrow trap. Here is where it gets interesting. I tried bread and millet for 10 days and nothing so I decided to try something unusual. I took a robins nest the sparrows destroyed, then took the empty robins egg shell they also destroyed and put it inside the nest. This was then placed in the bait portion of the trap. two days pass and I have 3 male sparrows. They just wanted to destroy that egg. WFT!

I have been a Purple Martin landlord for years and I make it my duty to kill as many Sparrows as I can every year. Traps work very well baited with cracked corn or long dry strings of grass during nesting season. They are not protected and can be trapped & killed without any issue. They are non-native to the US and are a real problem for our native cavity nesting birds! You can find traps here http://purplemartin.org