Loquitur

Wok on KK

I'm interested in using a wok on my KK. I see on the BGE forum that there is an accessory available that holds the wok but I can't tell from the pictures how high it is sitting in the grill or what kind of temperature is being used. Would a wok on a ring work OK? On the sear grill or lower grill? What kind of temps - as a rough idea?

Also, what kind of temps, roughly, would I need to maintain a simmer in a cast iron pan on the main grill?

Susan

I have not used a wok on a KK, but I have an idea of what you would need to watch out for if you try it. I do most of my higher temp grilling down on the lower rack, and when you have a hot fire going, it is absolutely scorching on your hand when you reach down in there to flip things over. I can imagine that if you put a wok on the lower rack, and got a fire hot enough to use a wok properly, the heat rolling up around the perimeter would seriously put a hurt on your forearms when you tried stirring it. But I have not tried it, so make sure you post back and let us know if you do!

The simmering thing I have done, and it takes about 275 to 300 degrees to get baked beans to simmer on the upper grill. I sometimes put them up there with ribs on the main grate under them, and they dont thicken up much at all at 250 while the ribs are cooking.

Ive also done pot roast, and needed about 300 degrees for that to simmer too. These are lid closed times, and I have noticed little difference between foil or ceramic vessels so I think cast iron will be about the same.

Thanks, Firemonkey, for giving temps to start with.

I'm definitely going to try the wok soon. I've seen/read about some interesting techniques such as using a small amount of lump and putting the wok directly on it, using a chimney of lump and putting the wok on top of the chimney, cutting a tomato cage to act as a wok support, using the wok at a higher level in the grill with a Guru to fan the flames and the "spider" device for the big green egg which offers two distances from the lump for the wok. I understand what you mean about the high heat. I start my steaks and burgers on the sear grill at 600 dome and have to move really fast to turn them with welding gloves on up to my elbows. I suspect that the wok itself shields enough of the heat to make it workable. Those who do it seem to really like it.

Susan

Sorry, I've been a little busy in my other life so I've been slacking here. One of the things I love about woks is that you can change the temperature very easily - they're thin metal and a natural fit for a gas burner. The KK, on the other hand, is like turning the Titanic. It's designed to hold a temperature for extended periods so you lose a lot of the flexibility a wok should give you. I've got an Eastman Outdoors wok burner that I've reviewed here. If you'd like more details please let me know, I'm still very happy with it and Johnnyboy made me a nice cover for it.