Duk

Butchering a pig

"People pay a premium for the filet and the loin - to be honest with you, it's tasteless, dry..."

You'll hear that sound bite from one of the butchers at about 5:30 in the video. Could not agree more! Love the filet and loin when I am pulling it from a whole smoked hog - but that is because those areas are cooking low and slow with the rest of the fat from the pig. To pull these parts out and cook them individually is a bit of a bore fest for me... JMHO, YMMV 8)

Holy Hog Parts!

All parts have their function. Tenderloins grilled right are amazing, as are the boneless loins. Some would say the bacon is best, some say the shanks. And of course what about the casings! The only thing that is useless on a hog is the squeal! But remember, I grew up in Iowa, and spent many a day on a farm "plinking" the boars in their Rocky Mountain Oysters with my trusty bb gun( Confession? Yes, someday I will before I die)

Brings back many memories of butchering with my Dad

Most of them pleasant! I haven't seen that much back fat(lardo) on a hog since I worked with my Dad back in Iowa. He used to freeze all the back fat for me if the farmers didn't want any lard, and I'd use it to cover all our whole beef tenderloins during the year. That's all gone now as is he, we had a great resource at the time and everyone here loved it.I'd like to think it made the holiday meals a little bit more special for the folks on the North Shore.