Paswesley

Geronimo!

Well, KK faithful, I have finally done it. After waffling and waiting, I have chosen a kooker, ordered it, and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery- hopefully sometime next week. As I went through the last stages of rationalizing this purchase I could only laugh at myself whenever they'd air that commercial that shows people who have bought esoteric, extravagant items, as they rationalize why they bought it. "This part (of the pool stick) is buffalo hide." Oh, well, in the final analysis, this is not an extravagant item. It is a very utilitarian item that is overbuilt for lifelong quality and aesthetic appeal. So there, conscience! To return from my reverie, I chose #Gen II- VB 05. It is very beautiful, and it is available for immediate shipment. I hope it arrives in time for me to use it the weekend of July 18th. We are hosting an engagement party for our daughter. I am expecting 80-100 guests, and the couple have asked for my "famous" pulled pork and roasted chicken. It would be great to pull off some compliments for the food and the kooker at the same time. I would not be able to wear any of my hats for at least a month! ;)

Do you have your temp control device for low and slow? Cook can be done without one but... If there is a temp problem the buzzer will wake you up. So having to sit up all night is a thing of the past.

The KK can hold 6-7 butts. Cooking for 80-100 should make you the "Butt King" around here.

Good choice. Looking for pic's.

Butt King- After a fashion

Cook_Shack wrote:

Do you have your temp control device for low and slow? Cook can be done without one but... If there is a temp problem the buzzer will wake you up. So having to sit up all night is a thing of the past.

No, I don't have one of those devices. Where may I obtain one? Regarding my being the "Butt King," I must admit that I have always been partial to butts, but I've been enamored of the curvaceous human female kind. I suspect that's the kind of "Butt King" I prefer to be. :wink:

BBQ Guru and Rock's Stokker digital temperature control system

You will find info on both of these on the site forum. I use the Guru but working folks seem to prefer the Stokker, for its computer printouts and remote control.

How much food?

Well, this won't be my first cook of this magnitude. I've been cooking on grills and smokers for nigh onto thirty-two years. It will be one of the first times I cook on the KK though. Hopefully, it will arrive early enough for me to do a trial cook or two, so that I can get the feel of how the big boy works. There will be other meat entrees available, so I don't need to cook enough to provide a full serving for each person. I am a mixed race American who has married into a Philippine family. Both cultures love to cook and eat. So, in addition to what I am preparing, there will be pork, chicken and beef adobo, deep fried croakers, blue crabs, dinugoan (blood meat), as well as a host of vegetable and meat dishes, vegetable dishes, pansit (Philippino yok a mein), desserts and drinks. There will be an obscene amount of food cooked and eaten that weekend! I will cook 6, seven or eight pound pork butts. They will cook down to about 28 to 34 pounds of cooked pork for pulling. I will also cook eight chickens, which should net about 20 to twenty-four pounds of roasted chicken to separate into serving portions. I will dry rub them both with a special rub of my own creation. I will make up my mind whether to get any fancier- other than the sauces that I will prepare for both. I will certainly check out some of the great recipes and ideas that forum members have so graciously shared. Man, I've made myself hungry. I'm going to go eat. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MY NEW BABY! Hurry up truck!

BE SURE to start your low and slow with a SMALL fire. You do not want to end up chasing your tail trying to get the heat back down. (The cooker holds it's heat as to it is a heat sink.)

If you can not get a temp control device in time you will still be OK. Just take your time working temp up in stages. Read up on setting your top and bottom drafts. As Dennis says if you keep the top open just a crack the fire will not go out.

Everyone is here to help, just ask. Sounds like a great party.

Coal Amount

Please reference my earlier post about the butts and chickens that I am cooking. Should I start out with the butts, and then roast the chickens once they are done? I figured to cook the butts (bone in, 8 lbs. avg.) at 225 for 14 hours, then move up to 275 for two more hours to finish them. I want to butterfly the chickens and cook them skin side down to hold the juices in. Will I be able to use both upper cooking grids, or just the upper grid? For the chicken, 350 for 2 hours? Too long, too short a time? Too much, too little heat? Fortunately, we had a pot-bellied, coal and wood burning stove when I grew up, so I am familiar with setting dampers and drafts for maintaining temps. Last question. When regulating heat upwards, when I transition from low and slow to roasting, should I adjust both the draft door and the top cap, or just one- if so, which one? My learning curve is going to need to be real steep, so I apologize for all of the specific questions.

There are those here that have much more experience than me and I defer to their expertise.

While waiting I'll try to get you started.

Should I start out with the butts, and then roast the chickens once they are done? I would do butts then chickens

I figured to cook the butts (bone in, 8 lbs. avg.) at 225 for 14 hours, then move up to 275 for two more hours to finish them. I would cook at 225 until internal of 190-200.

I want to butterfly the chickens and cook them skin side down to hold the juices in. Will I be able to use both upper cooking grids, or just the upper grid? Can use both grids for butts then both again for chicken.

For the chicken, 350 for 2 hours? Too long, too short a time? Too much, too little heat? 350 works for me 2 hr/until 165 internal

My cooking is done to a final internal temp no matter how I am cooking.

Best deal in town and a KK Forum most used item: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... mapen.html

Last question. When regulating heat upwards, when I transition from low and slow to roasting, should I adjust both the draft door and the top cap, or just one- if so, which one? Top damper controls smoke. It will be opened (the ears on my KK) back to around 270 degrees for 225. Must open more when taking temp up.

Bottom damper barely for low and slow. This is where you manually control the heat. Same as wood stove. Just ease into it. When you crank the heat up you must open top a little more for needed draft. If heat won't go up more - open top a little more.

For low and slow - fill the basket up. BUT start SMALL fire on top in center of basket. I mean like small.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm (Will have some of your answers) But... all answers are here on the forum

One of the guys posted a tool you might use for volume butts.

http://www.porkpuller.com/

Re: Thanks

Thanks' date=' Cook_shack.[/quote']

Welcome, but this will only get you started. The other members will have much better answers for you.

Just work the devil out of the forum search button until they start showing up.