mguerra

Water Heater Pan

One of ya'll recommended the water heater pan to clean your grill. That's a great place to set your grill, also! I have been struggling to get a nice, neat, clean solution to where to store and place my grills, heat deflector, roti basket and such. You need a place to set down hot, filthy, greasy, charcoaly stuff when using your KK. The stainless cabinet I want is over $3,000.00. So for now, I got one of those freestanding wire shelving units and a couple of water heater pans and set that up out by the KK. It is not my aesthetic ideal, but it works! As you move all your equipment around, you have a nice, easily cleanable pan to put stuff in.

yIKMJ.jpg

blAw9.jpg

If Dennis had a cabinet that was 100% stainless or stone on top with no wood, I would prefer that. Ultimately I will probably get the stainless cabinet, but this is an affordable temporary solution.

MGuerra:

I like the looks of your set up. I need something like this to tide me over until I can opt for a more permanent, "aesthetic" solution, also! I wonder if the water pans that you are using are plastic, and, if so, do they allow for placing a hot (350-500 degree) grill on them. I have been placing my grill on the open mouth of an empty 5 gallon sheet rock putty pail. Obviously, the asesthetics of that arrangement are -7 on a ten point scale! But--- it works. Let me know about whether those hot water heater pans can take some heat, and I will improve my current setup. Thanks, Paswesley

I actually took off the vertical extensions because the thing was unsightly at full height. Well, it's just plain unsightly anyway. Not a bad idea on the granite top, if I keep this set-up. I would much prefer to keep everything enclosed and out of sight, in a cabinet.

The fence? Coyotes out and Coonhounds in.

You ever heard 5 coonhounds at full bawl? Holy hell, that's a sound! Well, every time a possum or armadillo or skunk or deer or jackrabbit or turkey or raccoon or porcupine or crow or buzzard comes wandering by, we get an earful! So, that's basically all the damn time here in the Texas Hill Country. Actually, I have not seen a coyote. But I know they are out there.

What kind of coon hounds are they? Blueticks? I had a bluetick crossed with shepherd mutt growing up as a kid. Great dog, and he lived to be 17 years old! Not bad for a 50-60 pound dog. When I was eight years old, my mom gave me a big pan of oatmeal that she had cooked for Ringo, that had all kinds of good scraps from our dinner in it. (Back then, in 1964, that's what poor people fed their dogs, along with whatever else they could scrounge up.) Well, I was in a hurry to get back in and see Bonanza. So, I set the food in front of him and wheeled around to zip back into the house. Well, I realized about the time I had taken a step or two that it was too hot- but Ringo was real possessive about his food. He would not let me take it away. So he howled and cried and bayed and sputtered all the while he was eating that hot oatmeal! It taught me a lesson, about what a hungry dog will do to ease his hunger, and about what a young kid ought to do to be responsible toward his animal. Needless to say, I never told my parents. They would have whupped me good!

That set up looks fine and probably works even better! You are right, we do need a place to set hot grills and such as we do move things around during cooks. For me, I just grabbed one of these mats from Grilpad:

http://www.grillpad.com/

It's got a cutout for a handle and works quite nicely. I move it out for a cook and store it in the garage when done. I have put VERY hot grills on it and not a mark to be found!

Don't feed 'em hot oatmeal! I was looking for a wire shelving unit like you have depicted, and I found a possible match at Sams and at BJs. Does the water heater pan fit within the perimeter of the shlf, or do they extend past the perimeter? The shelves that I saw have a raised edge that is about two inches high. The grills would not fit inside. It should not matter if about 4 inches of the water pan overlap the shelving, so long as there is no raised edge. Unless you tell me of some wire shelving that is 25 inches deep, I will go ahead and buy one that has 18" deep shelving without a raised edge.

This shelf unit is from the Home Depot. The shelves can only be mounted one way, with the flange or lip down. So the shelf is then flat across the top. I thought I saw some at Container Store that could be mounted lip up, to keep stuff from rolling out, but we don't need that for this application anyway. So the pan is larger than the shelf is deep, but it fits on there fine, so long as you get a shelf wider than the pan diameter.

hrDwS.jpg

aKCs9.jpg

I took off the top extension and the fourth shelf because it was too tall and spoiled my view out the back deck.

I'm pretty sure that shelf of mine from Home Depot is some cheap Chinese product. If you want a quality American made shelving unit, check out Metro:

http://www.metro.com/

Look at all their product lines, not just consumer, you might see something you like for an application around your house or at your business. Not 100% of it is made in U.S.A., but most.

I really wanted a stainless steel cart but every one I found with drawers and a SS top was way out of my price range. I finely settled for this

http://www.allkitchencarts.com/Chris-an ... 4.html?cv=

It was more than I wanted to spend but is has steel shelf's two drawers places to put bottles of sauce and hooks to hang your tools on.

The bottle rack is handy, the shelf's work well for storing the EZ-Que baskets, the pizza stone, the drip pan etc, and the hooks hold my tools.

I like the drawers for holding small items like the clamps for the baskets, the heat probes for the Stoker etc......

It's not stainless but until I can find something better it works just fine.

Tony