LarryR

Foiling Briskets - Poll

Just Curious how many of us foil our briskets on our KK. I typically bring my briskies to 165 then throw in a roasting pan and cover w/foil for the remainder of the cook. However, since I've had my KK I've wanted to try an non-foil cook but have been concerned the results would not as consistent. Not due to the cooker, just based on the fact that briskets can be temperamental.

Any thoughts and please vote on the poll (hope I set it up right).

BTW, the timing of this post just happens to be when my 15.5 choice grade brisket just hit 165 in Hestia, not sure what I'm going to do, I'm leaning towards not foiling but have guests tonight so not sure I want to "experiment" today. What to do, what to do . . .

EDIT: Based on the fact that it's 9:30 a.m., dinner is around 6:00 p.m. and my brisket is already at 170 I'm NOT going to foil - keep your fingers crossed! It's looking pretty moist in there as I have beads of moisture falling from my top hat. Haven't opened her since I put her on (10:00 p.m. last night) and won't until she hits about 190 to start checking for tenderness. Here we go!

Here's my final graph, took 17 hours which is what I'd guessed but as quickly as she was moving early on I got a little worried:

th_brisket070731F.jpg

She was tender at 192, probe went in like butter, so far I'm liking what I see. Going in foil and towel lined cooker for 3 hours. Foil under ends of the point and flat are to protect from rising heat coming up around my deflector. Probably not necessary but I like to use it:

th_NoFoilBrisket2.jpg

More pictures HERE

Cook is done - Results

I've got to say I was VERY impressed with a no foil brisket in the KK. Talk about easy, put her on, let her run 17 hours, took her off, foiled her for about 4 hours (longer than I hoped but we were engaged in some excellent conversation and some adult beverages) and sliced. Doesn't really get any easier than that.

Excellent bark, probably some of the best bark I've had, I ate the tip/end piece where I started slicing sliced and it was so damn moist and tender, not chewy or tough, succulent. Had a good friend of mine over who's a great BBQ cook (he cooks on a Stumps) and he was quite impressed by the fact that it was done with no foil, he loved the final product. In fact he brought me a great finishing sauce that we applied after it was platted that was very nice, left the jar with me so I'll be enjoying more of that later.

I think the key was two things, 1) I ran low temps, 220 grate and my dome read about 210, 2) not opening the cooker for the entire cook. I checked her when she hit 192 at the 17 hour mark and my probe slid in like butter, perfect!

So my final verdict, I think I just may be sold on doing choice grade + briskets no foil from her on out. I'll stick with high heat on no-roll and select cuts.

Took some more pictures, the close-up with the flash makes the face of the sliced meat look dry but I can assure you it was anything but, need to get a better camera or figure out how to use the one I have in low light situations.

th_NoFoilBrisket8.jpg

th_NoFoilBrisket5.jpg

More pictures HERE

Hey Larr, looks fantastic........ :) I guess I am going to have to try one of these some day. Mrs. T and I don't eat nearly as much as we used to when we were younger........... so I rarely make any large cuts on the KOoker. We much prefer fresh vs warmed up...........

Hmmmmmmmm, guess it is time to have some friends over so we can do a Brisket!

T Rex

Larry,

I voted yes but only because it's the only way I know and not thats it's the best way I know. I use the Chris Lilly book for most of my cooks and he has two types of brisket foil and no foil. I guess I'll have to try the no foil method.

Tony

Re: Do both

Anyone who cooks briskets on the KK should try both methods' date=' low and slow without foil and fast hot with foil. Then you will know when and why you want to do one or the other method. Both methods produce excellent food![/quote']

I couldn't agree with the Doc more; never hurts to be comfortable with multiple techniques to use under different circumstances.

Did you use any rub or something else?

Yes, I used a COFFEE CARDAMOM rub. Probably my favorite rubs. Did it dry vs. including the wet ingredients.