cruzmisl

What the hell happened to Bob Evans?

I remember, a long time ago, eating at Bob Evans. Pretty good food and if I recall their slogan was "Bob Evans, down on the farm". Not sure what it is today.

I went on a road trip on my motorcycle and stopped at one to eat some breakfast. Usually its Cracker Barrel for me but there wasn't one nearby so I went in which is where the horror began.

I swear 95% of the menu was frozen, processed garbage that required a dip in the deep fryer. This was especially notable in the lunch and dinner options but was still evident in the breakfast meals too. I ordered sausage and eggs with biscuits. I remember their sausage used to be nicely spiced and is what Bob Evans was known for. Sadly, not so much anymore. The sausage was bland and frankly lacked any flavor. Tasted like fried fat-thats it. I went to spread some butter on my biscuit and the label said "butter spread"!! Are you kidding me? They use a butter/margarine spread. What the hell happened to "Down on the farm"? The restaurant conjures up images of rolling hillsides, cow's grazing and a farmer with a piece of straw hanging out of his mouth but the reality is its a giant corporation trying to cut costs everywhere. Too bad really. The service was good, restaurant clean and the food was cooked perfectly.

Corporate America ruined another icon.