bryan

Low Temp Slowwwwwww Eye Round

The first three were at 225 on the KK. The last one was at 300 on the KK, for a faster cook. These lean roasts just dry out if cooked slowly. Now, I did do a standing rib roast kind of lowish and slowish once, but that is a more tender and more marbled cut that responded well to that sort of cook. So when I use the term "roast" in this discussion I mean the lean tough ones. The round is from a working thigh muscle, if I recall, and it is NOT tender!

The first three were at 225 on the KK. The last one was at 300 on the KK' date=' for a faster cook. These lean roasts just dry out if cooked slowly. Now, I did do a standing rib roast kind of lowish and slowish once, but that is a more tender and more marbled cut that responded well to that sort of cook. So when I use the term "roast" in this discussion I mean the lean tough ones. The round is from a working thigh muscle, if I recall, and it is NOT tender![/quote']

Thanks. That is a help for me. I know you were not below 150. So my game is still on. Thanks.

On my first one the temp ran away. Today I am again going to try for a tender med cooked eye (135-140). I have been working w/Ralph since 10 am. Thought I had temp locked at 130 deg, but at 1:42 it took off again. I have worked it back down to 154 from its run to 175.

My desired Kooking temp is 130-140 Pull at 140 NO foil.

And yes it is a TOUGH cut. That is the challenge.

Thanks, Doc. Your explanation about why the round that I cooked came out so tough makes a lot of sense. I have a ten quart flat bottomed potjie pot that should be the perfect cast iron pot for the cook that you suggest. However, I am reluctant to use an acidic base because previously, whenever I have cooked anything acidic, it would destroy the seasoning on the interior of the pot. Do you think that a non-acidic soup/stew base would come out equally tender as an acidic base? Paswesley

Hey Dennis: if you're looking, I have a question. Of course, I don't want to void my warranty, so I want to check with you first. My potjie pot weighs around twenty-five pounds empty. By the time I add ingredients, it could conceivably weigh 40 pounds. Allow another ten pounds, in case the potjie is heavier than I think. Can the ceramic rim and the lower grill bear up under the weight? Do you think the grill will bend under the weight and de-form? Thanks, Paswesley

Beautiful! so' date=' was it tender and flavorful enough?[/quote']

You could cut it with a fork. I used mayo w/Red Top rub for a super flavor that just accented the beef taste.

There was no gray area on this eye roast as shown in pictures. This sure puts an end to the myth of tough roast.

Thanks' date=' Doc. Your explanation about why the round that I cooked came out so tough makes a lot of sense. I have a ten quart flat bottomed potjie pot that should be the perfect cast iron pot for the cook that you suggest. However, I am reluctant to use an acidic base because previously, whenever I have cooked anything acidic, it would destroy the seasoning on the interior of the pot. Do you think that a non-acidic soup/stew base would come out equally tender as an acidic base? Paswesley[/quote']

Use a Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot (or similar product). The acid from the tomatoes or wine will not affect it.