LarryR

How long are your butts taking?

Re: How long are your butts taking?

Here's a little pork butt trick. When I pull mine, I pull the muscles apart along their natural seams and scrape ALL the fat off. Also the fat/skin cap if there is one. I used to just throw all that fat away. Now I take all that fat and cook it down in a skillet. You get a fair bit of liquid fat in the pan along with a handful of crispy bits. I drain and save the cooked crispies. Now take the meat and chop/shred it and saute it for a few minutes in some of the liquid fat in the skillet. Add a little salt to taste and eat that hot right away! Oh my. And eat a few of the crispy bits, too. Basically, they are home made cracklin's. I eat just a smidge of these crispies for the awesome flavor and give the rest to the hounds. Now I seek out picnics and butts with the MOST fat cap/ skin!

Re: How long are your butts taking?

Great thread gentlemen! Been a long while since posting. Probably been a year or so now cooking on my by bronze 23 inch beauty appropriately named Penny. Heck if I would just spend more time reading the forum pointers, my learning curve would have been cut in half.

Excellent points all regarding the internal temps. I have tried several times to tempt fate by removing butts before they reach that ideal 190F. Wrongo! The butt looks wonderful but the proof is always revealed the moment you begin to shred that meat!! Prior to 190F, the meat will not break apart and remains firm and unwilling to seperate at the nudge or twist of a fork or a finger. Trust me, I have a habit of learning things the hard way.

I put an 8 pounder on yesterday @ roughly 4pm about 1/2 hr prior to target temp. Set my guru/pit viper combo at 190F meat / 230F pit temp. Then ran out for a 7pm wedding (way late for a ceremony IMO) returning to my faithful Penny at roughly 11:30pm. It's now 7:45am the next morning and Peggy never flinched off 230F for going on 16 hours now. Meat is now reading 175F and I have church at 9:30am. I'm thinkin' Peg should be close to fininshed about 12 noon just in time for nfl kickoff :-D (that's cypress, tx time folks)

I have been using ADAMS Reserve "Korintje" pork rub blend and it ALWAYS comes out fine as wine... speaking of wine :D... nevermind, I've gone long enough fellas... Blessed as usual to be cooking on my awesome KK again...