LATrapp

My KK needs a sidekick!!

I just posted this onto Chowhound:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/766843

Basically looking for a side grill for the KK. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

Here's the full text of the post:

My KomodoKamado needs a buddy...

I currently have a Komodo Kamado which I love in every way (www.komodokamado.com). I'm putting together a small outdoor cooking area and I would appreciate any advice for a side grill.

The primary uses would be if I'm looking to sear something off before transferring it to the KK to finish (The KK can sear very well if desired, but often I already have something going in it at a lower temperature.) OR on those nights where time is scarce and I'm just looking for a very quick grill while sacrificing a bit of flavor.

I'm looking for a unit between 12"-19".

One solution would be the Viking 15" infrared. I have never cooked on an infrared, so I'm wondering if it's good only for searing and marking or if you can actually completely cook a steak, chicken, or fish on it. I'm sure it's great for veggies.

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/pro ... t-overview

Another option is the Bluestar Charbroiler. It's specifies that it's for indoor use but I'm looking into outdoor use. It seems to be a more traditional gas BBQ:

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/bluest...

I know there are plenty of other brands from FireMagic to Twin Eagles and I'd love to hear any and all input.

Thank you!

Re: My KK needs a sidekick!!

I know this reply will most likely get me banned from the web site but....

I still have my trusty Weber grill if I want to sear something before I transfer it to the KK.

I also use it to start a chimney of coals for the KK since the Weber has a propane starter.

I also use it on those nights where time is scarce and I'm just looking for a very quick grill while sacrificing a bit of flavor.

Tony

How about another KK? :wink:

I have a high powered burner for my wok, the grate also flips over for flat-bottomed pots (think steaming seafood without stinking up the kitchen) but I don't know about searing. For that I've got a 19.5" KK, but the Weber mentioned above may also be useful. I've been tempted to add a Weber Performer myself for quick stuff like burgers and dogs but the time savings over the baby KK probably isn't worth the outside space.

I like the Meco products. Last time I bought one they were made in the USA. These used to be widely available at local stores but I don't see them anymore, so I bought mine straight from the company. I like the Swinger II.

http://www.aussiegrills.com/index.html

The only reason I never tried a Weber is that they don't have a hinged lid, but they do seem to be VERY popular and well made. They were on "How It's Made" one night and the QC looks good.

The 19.5" KK fits the requirements you have outlined, all except the flavor sacrifice.

And you can get one to compliment the color scheme of the 23".

"The primary uses would be if I'm looking to sear something off before transferring it to the KK to finish (The KK can sear very well if desired, but often I already have something going in it at a lower temperature.) OR on those nights where time is scarce and I'm just looking for a very quick grill while sacrificing a bit of flavor."

Of course you realize we will be getting the KK Junior here sometime soon. And I take full credit for urging Dennis to make it! So you can just wait for it, and then have a proper fraternal sibling for your KK. I was going to get a Primo for my secondary, but once Dennis agreed to go with KK Junior, I decided to wait for it. The "Portable" is actually Dennis' name for it, not the Junior.

Of course you realize we will be getting the KK Junior here sometime soon. And I take full credit for urging Dennis to make it! So you can just wait for it' date=' and then have a proper fraternal sibling for your KK. I was going to get a Primo for my secondary, but once Dennis agreed to go with KK Junior, I decided to wait for it. The "Portable" is actually Dennis' name for it, not the Junior.[/quote']

Wow, I had forgotten that I posted my original query in the owners section so apologies for the delayed reply!

So, I finally logged in after only reading the forums un-logged and I saw your response and the thread on the portable.

That's it...I'm waiting!

:smt003