ifly61ce

First Guru Cook (Pork Loin)

I cooked the pork loin to 155, I should have taken Doc's advise and removed it at 140. The wife always says I always under cook the meat so I let it go longer than I should have. It was not bad but a bit over done for my taste although the wife loved it. I used Chris Lilly's rub and liquid injection recipe. The holes in the meat are from my meat pump and the injection mixture. I plan on doing a chicken tomorrow and a pork butt on Sunday to take to work to impress the troops. fetch?id=68034fetch?id=68032fetch?id=68033

Re: First Guru Cook (Pork Loin)

I purchased this in Lafayette, LA about 20 years ago from a feed store (Chastant Bros.) that was I think, before the term "Cajun Injector" became popular up north. Correct me if I'm wrong about this, just my gut feeling.

I googled the term "meat pump" and it looks like it is common in the meat industry for pumping cure into meat. Dave may have more information on that.

If your injection contains ANY particulate matter, do not use the needle with the side holes! Use the straight bore needle. Use the side hole needle for 100% pure liquids only. Trying to unplug the side hole needle is a HUGE pain.

Thanks for the tip Doc, but your about 19.9 years late on that one for me, I learned that the hard way long ago. Good advise for new owners of this type injector though.

I used that tip for Chris Lilly's liquid that is just apple juice, salt and worcestershire sauce and it was fine.

Yes, that tip was for general consumption. Worcestershire is a great component to a marinade or injection, we use it routinely. Got a pork butt right here right now, you made me think to do that injection, ifly! Think I'll fire up the k, throw on the butt and hit the golf course.

Congrats on the maiden voyage! I too found out about the wrong needle too late! Truly a PITA. Had to heat the tip of the needle and use a small paper clip to dig out the mustard and dill! Doc your killing me with the golf comment, that's one of my resolutions this year. I retired my softball cleats after last season,now I'm pledging to improve my Golf game.