quedog

First Wings

I decided to cook some chicken wings as a way to start getting a feel for higher temp cooks on my new KK (Alice): n68185

I let Alice soak at about 450 while I gave the wings a good sprinkle of Lucious "The King's" Barbeque Seasoning and then put them on the main grill. The high temp lets the wings essentially fry in their own fat so the skin gets nice and crispy. I didn't time the cook but I'd guess they were on the grill about 15 minutes. The texture and taste surpassed anything I ever cooked before Alice arrived. I am still amazed how much easier it is to control the cooking temp on the KK than my old metal kettle grill.

Re: First Wings

Thanks for posting that, Quedog - they look really good. I have tried a couple of techniques but have not been very impressed. Truth be told, on the few occasions I make them at home, I drop them in a deep fryer and they come out really crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I will try on the KK again on the main grill at 450, which will be a new technique for me.

Re: First Wings

Johnnyboy, I made a quick buffalo style sauce for them:

1/4 cup melted butter

1/2 cup Franks or Texas Pete hot sauce

2 cloves of minced garlic

Heat it a bit in the microwave to release the garlic essence and it is ready to go.

Loquitur, I had never tried this before on a grill. On my old kettle I think the grill was too close to the fire for it to work well. I used the main grill on the KK so that even though they were cooked with direct heat they were further from the fire and up close to the hot dome, getting heat from all directions. I also had a pretty full charcoal basket and lit the fire from the bottom, so I think the heat at the main grill was nice and even. I got the idea from an Alton Brown show, he steamed them first to render out some of the fat then roasted them in a 425 degree oven. There is enough fat in the skin that they do pretty much fry. I've used his method before, but if you don't render enough of the fat by steaming it will start smoking in the oven. That's not really something you worry about when cooking outside so I skipped the steaming step.

They were much better on the grill and I didn't have problems with flare ups from dripping fat.