Paswesley

Mable's First Birthday Cook

Forum Family: I just had to cook something to help Mable to celebrate her first birthday. We adopted her on Wednesday, July 14, 2010, at 3:45 pm- a whopping, 615 pound baby girl! To honor the day, and to celebrate the enormous impact that her arrival has had upon the gustatory aspect of our family's life, we decided to cook Roast Chicken Mabellesque. This humble dish with the fine sounding name is prepared very simply. Two five pound roasters are washed and prepped with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and certain spices in the cavity. Thereupon, the slightly damp exterior is generously rubbed with fresh drippings from this morning's bacon. A rub of secret spices (among which cumin plays a prominent role) is lovingly applied in a manner reminiscent of shiatsu massage. As you can see from the photo, a few sweet potatoes agreed to be sacrificed, so that the chickens would not feel put upon by having to face the heat alone. Follow up pics are pending- if I can get them to load, that is. Paswesley 8)fetch?id=68211fetch?id=68209

Re: Mable's First Birthday Cook Thanks for the compliment. The rub is just some Lawry's seasoning salt, cumin, coriander, dry mustard, powdered garlic, a proprietary curry blend, and a couple odds and ends. Here is the pic I just took. The potatoes are done. The birds are 162 internal, and I have just cranked Mable up to 375 to finish them off. I will try to infuse some hickory smoke into the pic, but some may be lost in the digization process. ;) Here is the done pic and the plated pic. Sorry, no garnish today. It smells too good to fiddle with visual aesthetics. Signing off. Paswesley fetch?id=66919fetch?id=66920fetch?id=66921

post-6845-139082395337_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082395341_thumb.jpg

post-6845-139082395345_thumb.jpg