Paswesley

Mega Meatloaf

The meatloaf that I cooked last week was devoured with particular vigor, and they clamored for more. So, I am making another one. I am using the recipe that I posted last week (Robust and Hearty Meatloaf). I figured I would make one so big, it will take several days to get rid of. I increased the recipe by one third. So, this is a 9.5 pound meatloaf. :eek: I'd like to see Adam Richmond scarf down this one within sixty minutes! To give you a sense of scale, the pan that I am using is a foil turkey roasting pan that accommodates a 25 pound bird. I have poked numerous holes in the bottom of the pan so that excess fluids can drip away. I don't want it swimming in fat! fetch?id=68242 BTW: The dark colored spots on the meatloaf are raisins. Here are two more pics. The first is the mega meatloaf at 170 internal, ready to be taken off the cooker. We like it well done. It is still very juicy. fetch?id=68241 [ATTACH]n68238[/ATTACH]

Re: Mega Meatloaf

It was cooked using the indirect method. You can laugh all you want, but we are the ones consuming this delicious loaf. We weren't laughing, we were eating second helpings. Keep familiarizing yourself with glazes, rubs, fire rings, etc, and you will be able to detect cooking methods before you know it. Newbies have to cut their teeth somewhere. :P

IF it will cook OK swimming in its own fat, and IF you have dogs, don't poke the holes. Save all the juice and drizzle a little bit on the hounds chow. I save all the fat and drippings from my cooks in the fridge and each day warm a little bit in the micro and put a tablespoon or two on the dogs kibble. They go insane for it! As I have oft said, you can get a load of juice from a brisket if you foil it at the 160ish point.

@mguerra:

Sage advice Doc. That oil dripping is good for their coats as well. I had a red Dobermann once, and her coat was dull on the regular kibble that her vet prescribed. I put some bacon or sausage drippings on her kibble and her coat picked up a nice sheen within a couple of weeks.