Paswesley

Texas Potjiekos Festival

The discussion about dutch ovens got me to thinking about the potjies that I own. Dutch ovens and potjies are similar, but there are a few significant differences. A great thing about the potjie is the fact that the super heavy duty lid is designed to be inverted and used as a cooking surface! I happened to stumble across something that you Texan KK owners may be interested in. The annual Texas Potjiekos Festival will take place in about ten days. Expatriat S. African Texans hold an annual potjiekos festival as a celebration of their potjie cooking heritage. I am no S. African, but I believe potjiekos (Poi-kee-kohss) is a cuisine that developed around the use of the potjie kettle for everyday cooking. Mguerra may be close enough to the festival site to check it out, if so inclined. Here is the link to the festival website. Thought I would just toss this out as an FYI.

http://texaspotjie.com/

Happy eating!

Re: Texas Potjiekos Festival

Danioro is our member from South Africa, here, in his own words:

"Braaivleis - "Burnt meat" (Afrikaans)

Ingredients - Meat, fire, wine, beer, meat, BS, meat, women, meat, beer, BS and meat. Salad optional.

Mix well and stand back."

Look back at his previous posts.

And I mis-spelled it, it is braai, not braii. It apparently refers to a method, a tool, and a social gathering, all at once. Basically a grilling party.