Paswesley

Turkey Hash Time Again!

Well, we have not had turkey for months, so we figured it was time to whip up some good old turkey hash. I have attached a few pics of the cook. The bird is a 14 pound tom that I got from the neighborhood Safeway. I decided to stuff the bird, so I used a 12 ounce package of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing mix as a base. To this I added one pound of backfin crabmeat, four thick cut slices of hickory smoked bacon (chopped), and some thyme, oregano and basil from my herb garden on the patio, and a generous dose of my own spice blend. The pic below was taken when I put the bird on. I will update with a couple more.

fetch?id=68283

Here is an update pic, taken at 4 hours into the cook. BTW, the KK is soaked at 300 degrees. Almost done! fetch?id=68284

Here is the done pic, sitting on the stove resting. I wish I could post the aroma, because it smells wonderful. Even my uber-finicky seven year old yelled, "That smells great, Dad!" when I brought the bird inside. Now, I need to make some gravy while Mom prepares the rice. Yum! fetch?id=68285

Re: Turkey Hash Time Again!

You do know that I am a tidewater boy, right? I am from Newport News, VA. I was born on a flood tide, and was eating blue crab long before I knew what to call it! Man, I wish I could come over for tomorrow's crab boil! Eat a few swamp dawg Jimmies for me Cook_Shack. Anton

Ah, the good ole days.

Most of these will go in crab cakes then dive deep into the freezer. I'll sure think of you at the boil tomorrow.

It's rough here going to the Gulf. (It's 3 miles to the water and the mullet are migrating by the thousands)

Chase some of those mullet this-a-way. I know exactly the reception I will give them. I will vigorously massage them (Oops, their scales fell off!). Then, I will let them play in seasoned breading mix until thoroughly coated. Then, I will let them have a swim- in 350 degree peanut oil. I'd then have no choice other than to eat mullet, corn bread fritters and collards until I needed help finding my way to the La-Z-Boy. Yeah, scare some mullet up this-a-way!

Is that neat little campground still there? Tell me you did not eat any Apalachicola oysters.

My mother-in-law in Cameron TX is a great fisher, but swears mullet are worse than carp. She wont even use them for bait. Its hard to beat smoked mullet.

If you mean Appalachian Oysters, or "mountain oysters," I've never had the nerve to sample those. Coming up, we were so poor that we were po' until Mom went to work when I was about 12. (We were "po" because we could not afford the "or" to finish the word "poor".) I was raised on the by-catch of the fishing boats. Mom and my auntie would go down to the docks around 6:00 am mornings, when the fishing boats were off-loading their night's catch. Whatever by-catch they had (fish that they had not really intended to catch) could be bought for a 25 cents per pound. Mom would buy this and feed our family. Dad made me eat it, however unpalatable it looked. I learned to eat, and to love- toadfish, eel, chub, mullet, shad, puppy drum, dogfish, and many others. If the bay had the nerve to yield it up, we had the nerve to eat it. God has brought me from a mighty long way, and to Him be all the glory!

You do know that I am a tidewater boy' date=' right? I am from Newport News, VA. I was born on a flood tide, and was eating blue crab long before I knew what to call it! Man, I wish I could come over for tomorrow's crab boil! Eat a few swamp dawg Jimmies for me Cook_Shack. Anton[/quote']

Oooh, Pastor! I spent 4 years in Williamsburg. Nuthin as good as a blue crab feast on a newspaper-covered picnic table, and a bit of beverage of one's choice (I'm not a beer drinker, so it was Pepsi or sweet tea for me!).

And don't even START about Pierce's Pit BBQ, on the way outa town. :)

While you were in the Williamsburg area, did you happen to eat at Captain George's Seafood restaurant? My wife and and I had a passionate love for the place and we were so saddened when they went out of business. There was a location in Williamsburg, as well as one in Hampton and in Virginia Beach. I don't know about Pierce's. I have not visited the area in five years.

There was a seafood place in Hampton we'd hit for special occasions, if someone had a car. I think it was near the Hampton Coliseum. That said, you're talkin' ::cough cough:: years ago! (Hint: I was in a class at W&M when Hinckley attempted to assassinate Reagan.)

Don't feel bad, Sanny, I was in my third year of my first career of teacher, as well as in my second year of my first pastorate at that time. Translation, I was 25 years old. BTW, the restaurant you are describing certainly sounds like Capt. George's restaurant. I once drove from Raleigh, NC to Hampton just to eat there. I ate so much that I had to check into a hotel and sleep off the meal before I could drive myself back home. :eek: Talk about conspicuous consumption!