mguerra

Thanksgiving 2011

Re: Thanksgiving 2011

Starting a thread for all this years Turkey Day posts...

I'm going to try Alton Brown's method of doing the turkey for the first thirty minutes at 500 degrees, then back down to 350 for the remainder. They replayed his Thanksgiving show last night.

It would be easy to do an empty run to confirm but I'm guessing a heat 500 soaked body shut down.. would settle at about 350 for long enough to finish the cook.. You could also throw on a couple sprigs of rosemary for smoke and it would stay there the term of the cook.

;);)

My birds are thawed and the brine is chilled; I'll start brining at noon. We are going to find out just what a coffee wood smoked turkey tastes like!

Not paying attention, I bought 8% solution enhanced turkeys. I believe it is recommended not to brine enhanced birds. I'm doing it anyway, but I cut the salt in half for the brine.

I used one of Alton's brine recipes: A gallon of vegetable broth, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup(not the 1 cup called for) kosher salt, allspice berries, peppercorns, and candied ginger. Instead of using a gallon of ice water I'll use a gallon of iced apple cider!

One bird for mini Thanksgiving on Thursday and one for the super jumbo family party on Saturday.

Well, I have to do three birds this year. One for the huge family dinner on Thursday. One for the family, that I will cook on Friday. Finally, one for the big church dinner that will be celebrated on Sunday after services have concluded. This is the "penalty" for the great flavor and tenderness of KK cooking becoming common knowledge!

@mguerra: Both my wife and I take Diovan 160 mg for HBP. Is brining safe for people who have hypertension? If you feel uncomfortable with giving out medical info, I certainly understand. Happy Thanksgiving!

Larry,

How long do you think it will take you at 325. I have my bird in brine now and plan on taking it out to air dry in the refrigerator over night......

I want to try cooking it on the KK with some of the new coconut charcoal from Dennis but I've never cooked a turkey on the KK so I have no idea how long it takes.

My bird is only 15 pounds..

Tony

The Alton Brown/ Dennis Linkletter turkey was the best ever. The combo of brine and coffee wood smoke was over the top. I also iced the breast and cooked it hot and fast. The result was the juiciest breast meat we have ever experienced. "Dry" is not a word that you would apply to this white meat!!! My plan was to cook at 500 for the first half hour and then back down to 350. Well, it was more like a 450 plus or minus for about two plus hours. When the deep breast meat was 161, I pulled it off the fire, foiled, toweled and coolered. I never measured the deep thigh, contrary to most suggestions. Did the long rest in the cooler add to the tenderizing? Maybe. It rested about six hours, and was piping hot when I broke it out, too hot to handle, really. Partly that's due to the Yeti cooler. We aren't skin eaters, so I did not do a prolonged air dry. The dark meat just fell off the bone, it was so well cooked. So pulling it at breast temp 161 did not result in under done dark meat. All in all the best turkey we have ever had.The coffee wood smoke is hard to describe, aromatic, mild, flavorful; you just have to try it.

Re: Thanksgiving 2011 fetch?id=66983 Well we did a 14+ pound bird that was the best turkey ever.... I put it in brine for a day then air dried so the skin came out perfect(I don't like the skin but some of my guests do). I put it on at 350 and drove up to San Francisco to pick up my son from school. By the time I returned(appx 3 hours later) the bird was done to a perfection... I used the new coconut charcoal and boy what a nice smoke flavor... I even have a picture !!! :wink:

post-6816-139082396564_thumb.jpg

I have bird number two on the KK right now, for a big family blow out tomorrow. Exact same procedure as number one. Because of time issues I have to do it a day ahead, so after I rest it a while, I'll carve/pull it tonight and refrigerate. Then we will either eat it cold or rewarm it. Here's a link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

Only thing different I did was ice the breast.

And used a KK.

And coffee wood.