LindaFehrmann

Tips on cooking a beef tenderloin

Re: Tips on cooking a beef tenderloin

Best advice for a newbie...

Almost any oven recipe adapts well to a KK. Just remember that KK temps generally go up faster than they come down, and to heat the grill for 45 mins or so at whatever roasting temp you choose.

Personally, I like a nice crust, a slight smoke flavor, and about medium as the temp. I have a cast iron griddle that i sometimes use to get the crust, and then just put the meat on the upper grill to roast until finish temp. Its just easier for me then dealing with changing temps for a reverse, or even traditional sear. I can do it all at like 375 deg dome temp like that. I usually toss a piece or two of grape vine in the fire when I start the searing so it will be just the right smoke during the roast when the dome is closed. I leave the skillet where it is when I roast, too. I'm too lazy to shuffle hot grates or skillets around. You can shut off the bottom airflow almost completely, and just leave the top hat cracked to vent smoke during the roasting period, too.

We cook hundreds of these, and yes KK temps translate to oven temps. We've found that for a 3 to 4 lb tenderloin with a diameter of 2.5 inches will cook for 30 minutes at 450 degrees for rare(125) remove and let dwell at room temp for 10 minutes and slice...or refrigerate immediately and slice while cold and serve at room temp. if the tenderloin is larger say 3" in diameter, 4 to 4.5 lbs, give it another 5 0r 6 minutes . For seasoning I usually brush with olive oil or spray it with Pam and sprinkle cracked black pepper and salt and garlic, maybe herbs de provence. at 450 the oil should help brown the meat without burning, same with the oven.

I considered doing a reverse sear on the tenderloins I did recently but I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to judge how the intense heat at the end would effect the carryover cooking and that I might end up overcooking them. So I played it safe.

Get a Lodge cast iron pizza "stone".

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast- ... 555&sr=8-1

Use it as your heat deflector to cook a tenderloin indirect way up high on the top grill. When you reach your finish temp, take off the tenderloin and the top grill and then roll the tenderloin around for a few seconds on the cast iron heat deflector. Squirt a little olive oil on the iron just before.

The KK is fired up on low, preheating for a Christmas Eve tenderloin cook, with my wife's family. It's cold here today! The tenderloins have been marinating since yesterday, in soy, worcestershire and garlic. I will either use mesquite or coffee wood for smoke. Probably just a straight indirect cook without a sear. Maybe I'll throw the Lodge pan down in there and sear. The rub will be a light dust of Kosher salt and a heavy dose of fresh cracked black pepper. I will let them come up to room temp before they see fire. We cook ours more done than a lot of folks, medium nudging up against medium well.

Later tonight a pork butt goes on for tomorrow's celebration with my family. It will supplement a leg of lamb my Mom is doing. In her oven. Oy. Not everyone likes lamb so we need something else.

Merry Christmas to all, may God bless you and all your loved ones.