slu

Summer Cheer

Re: Summer Cheer

I ate about one and a half habaneros Sunday night, then drank two cups of coffee Monday morning on the way to surgery. That's a mistake I hope I will never make again! Another Ophthalmologist buddy of mine calls it PIC. That's not pilot in command for you fellow aviators, by the way. Pepper Induced Colitis. Russell and I are like dogs who never learn their lesson on skunks. At the time we are scarfing the habaneros, bhut jolokias or jalapenos, the addictive endorphin high just totally overrides the realization of what is going to occur later!

That's not pilot in command for you fellow aviators

Before my month-long food tour of Thailand, featuring the hottest foods our teacher could induce the locals to serve us, a veteran of an earlier trip urged me to bring along a British brand of witch hazel pads. Not to go into more detail than you already have, but why not keep a bottle of witch hazel handy at home?

I'll go in to more detail.

It's true the anal burn is bad, but it is really the colonic distress, the boiling, writhing pressure, the deep pelvic discomfort more than the ass burn that's the real killer. I guess the capsicum just really sets off the smooth muscle in the colon wall into wild peristaltic gyrations.Too much info? What the hell, we talk about everything here. Sadly, I know I will do it again...

Wouldn't you know, I was knee deep in to the serranos this afternoon before it dawned on me not to scarf so many. Too late.

On a totally unrelated note, I made some pork loins for NYE dinner, and they were very good. But they just don't compare to a slow smoked pork shoulder, do they? The only thing they really have going for them is they cook pretty quick. Unless someone specifically asks for them, I really don't care if I ever cook another one. On the other hand, sliced super thin, they might make for some good sandwiches. They are TOO lean! It almost seems like their flavor is so mild they just become a carrier; for other flavors in the rub, or the marinade, or a sauce. Which is OK, but the shoulder is just so much more flavorful, and cheaper to boot.