waldo

Temperature Controllers

Re: Temperature Controllers

BBQ Guru has several controllers, they work well, peruse their website. I use the DigiQ.

http://www.bbqguru.com/

The Stoker from Rock's BBQ works a little better in my experience, but the buttonology to set it up for each cook is unnecessarily complicated. I use it nonetheless for low and slow cooks, more often than the BBQ Guru. Do realize that current KK's have a port that is sized to accept the Guru fans without an adapter. Rock's has an adapter to fit the Stoker fan to the new Guru sized ports on current KK's. If you have an older KK with the original sized port, Rock's has an adapter for that as well.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Can't comment on the stoker, but my DigiQ coupled with Dennis's KK CoCo char has held temps to a single degree on several overnight low and slows. I woke up a couple of times one night to check (my first cook).

It is hard to imagine better temperature control. Also it is very simple to use.

HTH

The Stoker fan closes off completely when it is not blowing. The Guru fan outlet has a sliding door that you adjust. This opening remains open when the fan is not blowing. You have to learn that to maintain a low temp requires a very small opening of this sliding door. If you just leave the door wide open you cannot maintain a low temp. It's a brief learning curve.

Overshoot:

Here's a scenario that can result in a temp overshoot with either controller. You need to start the fire, put the meat on and leave in a big hurry. You should start only a very small amount of lump to keep a low temp. You set the controller to 225 or so. The cooker is cold, you have started only a little lump, the blower is running non-stop to try to bring the temp up, and it winds up igniting a lot more lump than necessary during this warm up period. The temp finally hits 225 and the fan shuts off, but by this time WAY too much lump is going. So even though the fan is off, your temp will overshoot... a lot. And you are on the fourth hole at the golf course by now, unaware. To keep a low temp you should start a very little lump, and monitor the ramp up with very small vent openings, and no controller. This takes a while. What you are trying to do is keep only a little lump going as the temp climbs to 225. Once you get around 190ish, you can convert over to the controller. If you really need to move, the alternative is to start a little lump, put on the meat, don't use the controller and just go old school. By setting the vents. Which you have to have done several times before so you have the experience to know the vent settings for 225. Then go play golf. When you get back you can set the controller if you like. It's good insurance for overnight cooks.

There is a way to do it Susan, but I have not figured it out. I need stuff to be 100% plug and play or I don't f... with it. That's fool with it, BTW. If it requires you to know a domain this or a subnet what sit or IPmajig, I'm out of it.

The Stoker is a real dream to use but you do need to take time to learn it and be comfortable setting things up. It is really handy for those long cooks. Since it has a web connection it can transmit temperatures of both food and fire to your smart phone or tablet during the cook. Keeping temperatures under under control is easy The Stoker literally lets you set the temperatures, control the fire and monitor the cooking temperature. I have been using it for about 8 months and it works as advertised. I just received the new Stoker with built in wifi and am waiting for the firmware update (due this month) so I can't comment on the new unit but I expect it to do well.

Relaxed cooking

obanker