Tigeranteater

MY NEW KK!!!

Re: MY NEW KK!!!

Last night I fired up the KK and put it through it's paces. I figured I had three cooks on it...in addition, I ran a whole bag of lump through it before my first cook to make sure it was cured. After three cooks at 350 I decided to do Steaks. I love my KK! With the top draft open and bottom draft open, I fired it up and came to check on it.....temp was PEGGED at over 700 degrees. I figure it had to be close to 1000 degrees! Crud, I didn't mean to or know it would get that high.....it seared the steaks nicely though and after searing, I used the dwell method. They were perfect. This morning my thermometer was still egged at over 700 degrees. Looks like I will need to buy a new one from Dennis lol.

Last night' date=' I fired it up and came to check on it.....temp was PEGGED at over 700 degrees. I figure it had to be close to 1000 degrees! Crud, I didn't mean to or know it would get that high... This morning my thermometer was still egged at over 700 degrees. Looks like I will need to buy a new one from Dennis lol.[/quote']

Argh.. Slowly Tiger! It's really important to run the grill at 475-500fº for a few hours to let the remaining acrylic solvent to vent.. you can do 500 lower temp cooks and never remove/vent this material.

Wrapping the needle before this solvent has vented can cause it to turn to explosive vapor and create a bubble under the tiles especially with the pebble tiles.

You're Tel tru thermometer can be re-calibrated.. use a wrench to turn the nut on the back while holding the dial.

You will need to boil some water and then set it to 212ºf

Dennis,

I ran a 10 pound bag of charcoal through it the day I got it and fired it up all night at 350 degrees. Then I did 4 cooks on it at 350-400 degrees. ONLY then did I do my steaks. So my KK has had an estimate of 0ver 20 hours at 350-400 BEFORE I did the steaks at 1000 degrees. I didn't mean to get it that hot but man this thing cooks.

also...when I ran the first bag thru without cooking anything I went out that night and the temp was 500 and I panicked and turned it down a tad. I don't know how long it had at 500 but my guess is maybe 2 or 3 hours. .

Do you think my break in was ok or did I screw up my KK?

Steve

also...when I ran the first bag thru without cooking anything I went out that night and the temp was 500 and I panicked and turned it down a tad. I don't know how long it had at 500 but my guess is maybe 2 or 3 hours. Now I am worried I screwed up my KK.

You can't screw it up.. there is just the chance of getting a bubble in the insulation/grout.

You came thru unscathed.

But those lower temp 350-400 cooks do nothing.. The outside does not get hot enough to do anything.

It's gotta be 475-500ºf

Actually, I'm finding a breeze beneficial. Far easier to get KK to draw when there's a breeze than when it's completely still.

Um, don't know if this is quite related .... it's summer Downunder.

Close the lid.. Heat of course rises and leaves the damper top.. this causes vacuum which sucks air thru the lower draft door. All of this air is forced thru the charcoal.

If you want to speed things up, my favorite tool is a cheapo hair drier blasted down onto the charcoal.

Your KK does not really need any help with airflow.. Temperature only airflow and fuel. Always remember to shake out last cooks ash and don't dump[ the smalls from the bottom of the bag dead center. This will clog things up.

Oh, keep the lid down. The last two burns I've been having trouble getting my charcoal started in the chimney, which I've been placing in the fire pit with the KK lid open, and both the bottom dampeners open. Next burn I'll try just the bottom dampener open (the proper dampener), and I'll close the lid with the top dampener open.

The KK's a learning curve ;)