mk1

Faceting

Re: Faceting

It is something that can be self taught or learned at a local lapidary club, if you are so lucky to have one nearby.

You would probably be very good at it.

look around the following sites:

www.gemologyonline.com

especially the "lapidary corner"

Also, the still up, but now out of business (Jeff Graham R.I.P. was a controversial fellow but a good cutter)

www.faceters.com

If you are still interested I will help you. I taught myself....from a book and with a few internet/email advisors.

face sitting....hehehe

That is a pink tourmaline.

Tourmaline comes in every shade of every color.

When I get home tonight I will post some more stones. Some uncut ones as well. And the machine I use to cut them.

My wife is a jeweller (besides running my practice and raising my kids....) we have quite a garage. Poor car sits in the driveway.

Nice work, MK1, that pink tourmaline is awesome. I did some faceting several years ago and have some of Jeff's books. A little one came along about 9 years ago and things like faceting have moved to the back burner for the past few years. Maybe I will be able to pick them up again soon.

@mk1:

The stones are beautiful! What do you think of this 57,500 carat emerald? It will be auctioned off soon. See link below. Are you putting in a bid? Would it be more cost effective to divide this 25 pounder into smaller gems, or is it worth more as it is?

http://www.ksby.com/news/giant-emerald- ... in-canada/

As far as the 25 pound emerald goes, it is hard to say without examining it closely. It may be poor enough quality(based on TV images) to be more of a collectors oddity. Or it may have large nearly clean gemmy areas that could have tremendous value when cut as medium to large high quality stones. Crummy emerald is common. Albeit not in 25 pound chunks!

I repeat myself: that is so cool! Seriously in danger of falling ill with NHTIOD. That's actually something I would do on a cold housebound day. But we only get one of those days a year here in Central Texas. 364 days I'm out cycling, fishing, golfing or flying. So maybe less risk.

If the pink tourmaline is for sale, please PM me... I live in Asia, typically use one of two very good jewelers in Hong Kong, but that cut is pretty amazing...my wife would likey...although she just got a new ruby for our anniversary last week, so she really doesn't "need" anything right now...still, I know she'd like that one... The great thing about tourmalines is that they come in so many different colors...that is a shade of pink I've not seen before...very cool.