casebeag

A little help

I've had my new KK for a couple weeks. Lots of good local help from slu.

I've done some good low and slows.

Tonight, I tried salmon. I cooked it on the lower grate, skin down, like I would have done with my old Weber (bless it's soul).

I filled the bucket with lump charcoal and lit it with a paraffin cube. I was impressed how quickly I got it up to 550 with both vents wide open.

The problem: By the time I got it up to temp, most of the charcoal was still barely even lit. Each time I opened the grill to check the fish (only a couple, but still), it was like fireworks coming up from the basket. Also, the smoke from the charcoal was still thick enough that it imparted more smoky taste to the fish than I was used to from the Kingsford charcoal that I used to use.

So:

Do I just start with less charcoal in the basket?

Do I really need to wait for all that charcoal to burn it's smoke off before I put the fish on? That could take a while.

Overall, I was so glad to see it come to temp as fast, faster really, than the old grill. Was wondering about the KK's ability to do the quick cook. Gonna have to change some things though, to make it more user friendly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Re: A little help

Casebeag:

Almost all of my KK cooking is some version of a quick cook and I do not use a full basket of lump. I use the Weber baskets sitting on a brick for the lump, which I light with a weed burner. A search of this forum of Weber baskets will show pictures and discussion about them. I also do not wait for the smoke to burn off before adding the food but I think this largely has to do with the brand of lump you use. I use either Royal Oak or Ozark Oak and though they give a considerable smokey flavor to the food, it is not harsh or acrid. But some brands of lump have a more neutral flavor profile. Also, while the food is cooking, I have the lid open for as much time as it is closed, which allows some of the smoke to dissipate. I know that this is unconventional for KK cooking but it works really well for me inasmuch as it is quick, easy, fun and delicious.

Susan

Interesting post Susan.

One query - I'm learning too - why do you put your Weber basket on a brick? I'm just thinking that must affect air-flow over simply sitting it in the existing wire firepit?

Have you seen the thread with Dennis's new sear baskets he's about to roll out:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4609&p=41402&hilit=sear+basket#p41374

Mark:

The reason I sit the baskets on a brick is to keep the top surface of the coals in the Weber baskets at approximately the same height as a full KK basket of lump would be in relation to the sear grill. We like our burgers and steaks crispy and charry on the outside but still rare in the center and merely using a little bit of charcoal in the KK basket or sitting the Weber baskets on the floor of the KK basket keeps the coals too far away from the sear grill for this effect. The heat from the Weber baskets is not as intense as a full KK basket of lump would be but its quite good and uses way less charcoal. I add on 15 or 20 seconds to a cook with the Weber baskets that would take 2 min/side with a full KK basket of lump. The brick does restrict the air flow to some degree I'm sure but there is plenty there for a good hot, quick cook. And, I'm very excited about the new baskets. The Webers work well but they are not KK quality.

Susan

What kind of charcoal were you using?

When you say you had both vents open, do you mean the wheel was full open, you you opened up the slider? Big difference between the two. Since you had lots of sparks, I suspect you may have had the slider open? The sparking is more a characteristic of your fuel, than your technique. Some lump sparks much more than other lump, even different bags of the same brand can surprise you. If you find that your lump is spark prone, just close the slider before you open the grill. The limited airflow will keep the flames from raging as soon as you open the lid.

You can certainly start with a half basket of fuel, and you can also re-burn the leftovers. I usually add just little more than I expect to use for a cook, and then let all the leftovers accumulate in the basket. That way, when I go out for a quick grill, most of what is in the basket is on its second or third burn, and thus very clean burning.

I was using Lazzari lump charcoal.

Sorry for the confusion: By 'both vents open', I meant that the top hat was 'unscrewed' to the wide open position and the wheel on the bottom was fully open. I did not slide the door/s out at the bottom.

Appreciate the feedback...I've got a good idea as to how to approach it differently next time.

The Lazzarri may very well be your issue.

I used to order whole pallets of lazzari charcoal and split it with a few guys. We were getting the foodservice bags (40# each), which is mesquite lump. Mesquite is notorious for sparking like Vesuvius at high temps. Lazarri also makes oak lump, but when I contacted them about getting some, they told me it was only regionally available. If you're using mesquite, that will also explain the abundance of smoke.

Try a bag of Royal Oak or other hardwood lump, and your results will likely be very different, even using the exact same process.

I was using Lazzari lump charcoal.

Sorry for the confusion: By 'both vents open', I meant that the top hat was 'unscrewed' to the wide open position and the wheel on the bottom was fully open. I did not slide the door/s out at the bottom.

Appreciate the feedback...I've got a good idea as to how to approach it differently next time.

I know where you can score some great hickory charcoal! :)

I haven't had any contact with Johnny since he quit selling. My quip to Matt was only in reference to my supply here at the house. I'm pretty sure Mr. Kincaid monitors these pages since he is a member. Maybe we should form an "Occupy Murfreesboro" and sit on his kiln till he agrees to sell us some!