mnacht

My First Brisket

Smoked my first brisket today and it came out pretty good!!! My only complaint is that I think I over cooked it a bit - where the thin part of the brisket was a little dry. I was trying to get to 225 degrees, but stepped away after a bit and the temperature rose to 325ish... This was my first smoke with my new KK and I am still learning. Can anyone share some tips on how to get the KK to say 225 degrees and have it hold steady. I filled my basket with CoCo and used lighter cubes to start the fire. I am not sure how long to keep the top open after I start the fire before I close the lid and get it to rise to its desired temperature. I had the top turned about 1 1/2 turns and the damper door slightly opened. I would appreciate anyone who could share there thoughts on how to best accommodate this. Thanks and here is my first picture... Thanks!!!! fetch?id=68432

Re: My First Brisket

Close bottom drawer front. Open dial vent width of small coin.

Only open top vent 1/2 turn or less.

Light SMALL fire in one place only.

Let KK come to temp and level off. Open bottom dial 2 coins widths wide.

Take your time it is a learning curve.

If you master this you will never need an electronic gadget to control the KK.

The unit is more than capable of self control. Its only problem is the nut that works the lid.

Look at the shiny new insides of that KK :)

I've been KK'ing about five or six times a week since I've had mine. Don't rush out to get a controller: I'm finding as I learn my KK I can get the charcoal to do as I want, and don't need any add ons. It's got a great ability to hold a desired temperature for such a long time. You just have to learn your dampners, and there's only one way to do that: use it lots.

Thanks for all of your replies. From what I am hearing, I definitely lit the fire in way to many places - 3 lighter cubes and some newspaper. I did so because I felt the charcoal was not catching. That being said, when I light it in one place, how long should I keep the top open to let the charcoal "catch", before closing the lid and letting it get up to temp? Once I close the lid, when should I expect it to get to desired temp and should I play with dampers throughout or only adjust when I think it has settled down after a period of time? Sorry for all of the questions, but all of your posts always contain great advice...

Thanks for all of your replies. From what I am hearing' date=' I definitely lit the fire in way to many places - 3 lighter cubes and some newspaper. I did so because I felt the charcoal was not catching. That being said, when I light it in one place, how long should I keep the top open to let the charcoal "catch", before closing the lid and letting it get up to temp? Once I close the lid, when should I expect it to get to desired temp and should I play with dampers throughout or only adjust when I think it has settled down after a period of time? Sorry for all of the questions, but all of your posts always contain great advice...[/quote']

Do not keep the top open. Close the lid. The top and bottom dampers control the unit.

It is a learning curve. I suggest you start slow and take notes. Just you the lit unit and a cool drink in hand.

Once it levels off learn your dampers. (One at a time) Your answers are on the forum. The more you look and read the faster you will master the KK. You are going back in history to learn heat control through dampers.

Once you get that down you have the secret of a "Master Komodo-Kamado Chef"

For what it's worth.... I rub some mustard all over the product, (it's taste cooks away)

Then cover the meat with salt & pepper. (when I have enough... I add some more)

I put fat caps down to protect the bottom. (I'm not convinced that it matters)

Once I learned to control the I NEVER open the lid during a cook. (I do use an internal probe)

I heartily agree that you do not necessarily need a draft controller to cook successfully on a KK. I have been cooking awesome meals for 1.5 years now and I don't have a guru or similar device. I do use an internal temp probe, though. A temp probe is the only truly reliable way to ensure that massive cuts are done to the bone, or that pork has reached the correct pull temp, etc. I have cooked eight pork butts at once, two 15 pound turkeys at once, and many other very large cooks- all without using a draft controller. Spatchcocking is an awesome way to cook turkey, by the way. There is a learning curve for how to regulate the temp, and how long it takes depends on predictable factors (native aptitude, frequency of use, ambient temp, etc). Cook_Shack is one of the most knowledgeable users on this forum. You will do well to heed his advice. He got me off to a great start back in summer 2010. You will make a few mistakes along the way. No problem, though. Even the mistakes on a KK taste wonderful! :D

When just using the Bottom Damper, can one control the Temperature ? On my EGG I start regulating the Temperature with the Lower Vent then if I need to get it lower I would put the DMFT on to control as well. So what is the best way to regulate the Temperature ? To get to 500 -600 degrees to grill a steak what would be the settings ?

Thanks.

Gary

Gary, searing a steak is quite different to indirect cooking on the KK. To get to those high temperatures simply to sear a steak, I'd simply have the top dampener unscrewed so I could see a gap, and I'd open the bottom dampener plus pull it out. Close lid on these settings to create the draft needed - the KK is designed to create the draft, but only when you have lid down - until it gets up to the temperature you want (with only lower sear grill in), then open lid, and keep it open while cooking your steak (ie, for searing steak just use it like a normal BBQ once you're up to temperature. Be warned, though, it's hot down there, you'll get a lovely criss cross on the meat, and great flavour, but if you like rare - and that's how steak should be cooked - you'll hardly need it in there.

Some here use the dwell method, cooking hot, then closing down, but I've found with the heat stored in the KK my steaks get over-cooked doing this.

Once I have my steak out, I close the lid and both dampeners to put the charcoal out. I've never had such great tasting, or great looking, steaks as on my KK.

.... for cooking outside of searing, I'm still learning the top dampener: I find the bottom one was quite easy to get to grips with. By the way, I use a charcoal chimney inside the firepit with the KK lid closed to get my charcoal going. Works perfectly for me, never a miss-fire.

Is that a temperature probe permanently in the actual meat' date=' with the display sitting outside the KK through that little rubber plug? Any best brands? Sites online to buy from?[/quote']

Tribeless: Yes, the temp probe is inserted into the tickest part of the meat at the beginning of the cook and remains throughout. It does go through the probe port on the upper right of the KK through the hole in the rubber plug. I am giving you a URL for the probe that I use, the Maverick ET-72 Redi Chek single probe. I love it. Batteries last forever, and it works through several intervening walls out to about 75 feet from the black transmitter. There is a receiver unit that you take into the house with you. They are very easy to set and there is a fairly loud alarm when the target temp has been reached. If you are a light sleeper, it may even awaken you if you have dropped off while waiting for the food to finish cooking. :oops: It is NOT waterproof. You may be able to find a cheaper price by looking around. Or, you may opt for the dual probe model. When cooking large cuts on two levels, a dual probe model would really come in handy.

http://www.firecraft.com/category/maver ... 4AodUklCWQ

Is that a temperature probe permanently in the actual meat' date=' with the display sitting outside the KK through that little rubber plug? Any best brands? Sites online to buy from?[/quote']

Tribeless: Yes, the temp probe is inserted into the tickest part of the meat at the beginning of the cook and remains throughout. It does go through the probe port on the upper right of the KK through the hole in the rubber plug. I am giving you a URL for the probe that I use, the Maverick ET-72 Redi Chek single probe. I love it. Batteries last forever, and it works through several intervening walls out to about 75 feet from the black transmitter. There is a receiver unit that you take into the house with you. They are very easy to set and there is a fairly loud alarm when the target temp has been reached. If you are a light sleeper, it may even awaken you if you have dropped off while waiting for the food to finish cooking. :oops: It is NOT waterproof. You may be able to find a cheaper price by looking around. Or, you may opt for the dual probe model. When cooking large cuts on two levels, a dual probe model would really come in handy.

http://www.firecraft.com/category/maver ... 4AodUklCWQ

Brilliant. Cheers for that Paswesley ... I'll pick one up.

"Your learning curve on the Komodo-Kamado is most obvious by your motivation"

So right you are, Cook_Shack!

Brilliant. Cheers for that Paswesley ... I'll pick one up.

One note of caution. The probe, as designed, has a bend that is just barely unable to be inserted through the probe port. So, a little gentle bending with the probe after it has been heated in water to about 180 degrees will be sufficient to bend it just enough to fit without breaking it. At least, that is how things worked out in my case. Enjoy! 8)

"

One note of caution. The probe, as designed, has a bend that is just barely unable to be inserted through the probe port. So, a little gentle bending with the probe after it has been heated in water to about 180 degrees will be sufficient to bend it just enough to fit without breaking it. At least, that is how things worked out in my case. Enjoy! 8)

I'm looking at these four probes on our local Trademe (like your Ebay): can you tell by looking if they all have bends in the probe? They all look straight to me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... uggested=0