casebeag

Smoked salmon/BBQ guru

Wanted to share my first cook with the guru. Used it today to smoke salmon and was very pleased with the results. Smoked a 12 pound king salmon today that I caught earlier this week. Fortunately, the guru arrived the same day I caught the salmon - fortuitous timing. Thank you to 'tucker' who offered advice on configuring the guru purchase. I used a full basked of Apple charcoal with a couple coco rods thrown in. Also scattered some Alder chips throughout the charcoal to 'fire' whenever the portion of charcoal they were sitting on lit. Got it all going with 5 or 6 pieces of Kingsford briquettes, brought it up to about 100 degrees, then closed the bottom to 'credit card' slits. Once it hit 140, I closed the bottom up, and closed the top hat to 'just cracked'. Set the guru to 165 at first, then raised to 170 and basically didn't have to touch anything until mid afternoon when the sun was directly on the KK, and then I just closed the top hat a little more. Smoked for a total of 10 hours. Had a nice amount of smoke throughout the entire cook, and the salmon seems to have come out great - I don't eat it until I've cooled it in the fridge overnight. Was nice to not have to constantly check on a cook at this low of a temp. I ordered the 'christmas tree' holder for the pit temp probe, but it hadn't arrived yet. As you can see in the pics, the fish was nice enough to use one of it's fins to hold the probe for me - worked very well. n68487 n68488 n68489

Re: Smoked salmon/BBQ guru

Caught it here in the Monterey bay trolling. Conventional gear. It's been a great year thus far. Slu - won't ever know how much charcoal the smoke used because I cranked it up to 600 after i took the smoked fish off to cook a fresh piece of salmon caught saturday for dinner! Had it with kale - thank you.