kad1979

First two cooks on the KK...

As I posted before my 19.5 KK arrived this past Thursday. I am so very pleased with how my first two cooks on this beauty turned out. I cooked the pork butt for about 20 hours overnight Thursday night into Friday afternoon. I used El Diablo lump charcoal. As a first run my dinner guests were blown away as was I. I made pork tacos with roasted Anaheim chile, queso fresco and all the trimmings.

Phoenix-20120518-00514.jpg

Split open...

Phoenix-20120518-00518.jpg

I paired the meal with a very unique Belgian beer brewed like champagne. This beer was simply sensational!

Phoenix-20120518-00526.jpg

I also threw some ribs on to see how they would turn out. I cooked them approximately 5 hours at 225. While they turned out amazing in texture and flavor I over seasoned them a tad. I am not sure why but a rub that I have used many times before seemed to to be more salty on meat in the KK then on the regular grill. Strange.

Phoenix-20120518-00517.jpg

After finishing the pork I then proceeded with the venting. Oh my word, I really did not care for this. To see liquid, air, etc...seeping from the grout of a grill that I just bought (and wasn't cheap) made me a bit nervous. I had one tile come up considerably but I followed the instructions and pushed it back down before it cooled. Upon checking it the following morning everything looked in place. I had venting from roughly 8 spots around the grill...Any advice on fixing the grout where it vented? I don't want to screw it up.

On to pizza Saturday night. I was very impressed with the pizza this thing cranked out. I was lazy yesterday and had to leave on a business trip this morning so I decided to keep it simple and just used pre made dough bought from Trader Joes. I cooked the pizza at about 625 for 7 minutes.

The wife's BBQ chicken...

Phoenix-20120519-00547.jpg

I went with classic margarita...

Phoenix-20120519-00545.jpg

All in all a successful first weekend using the KK!! Now I am mad we are leaving out of town for Memorial weekend...

Once again sorry for the crappy camera phone photos....next time I will bust out my camera.