LarryR

High Heat Brisket Cook - VIDEO

Re: High Heat Brisket Cook - VIDEO

Very very interesting. I have never attempted to do a Brisket before. I have done tons of Tri-Tips, but I don't think it is the same. To see the slices of meat pull apart like that was very cool. Tri-Tip doesn't do that, at least for me. Many things intrigued me on this video...The length of the cook, cutting off the "point" or "tip" and putting the larger portion back on to the grill for 3 hours...? How did this turn out? Was that piece not as "break apart" as the pieces you cut? Did it "break apart" later? Why do you need to put the meat back on? What did you do with the large piece you cut away? Was that 'fat' or 'meat'? did you eat it?

The rub is also intriguing. I have heard of coffee based rubs...and fuels, but have never tried them.

Thanks for the video. I was on the fence, now i really want to give a brisket a try.

One other thing, I am confused with the 6 hour cook you did versus a longer, 12 hour cook? Does the 12 hour cook also "break apart" on Briskets? I have read that doing Briskets can be tricky...you either get it perfect or you have a hunk of leather....that there is a certain point where you should remove it from the heat....none of which I know...

Thanks LarryR

MadMedik

MadMedik, search the BBQ websites to learn there are two muscles in a brisket, the point and the flat. There is a thick intermuscular septum separating them. The grain of the two muscles do not run the same. So there is not one grain to slice across in a whole brisket. Most barbecuers separate the two muscles after cooking. It's nearly impossible to get a good separation before cooking, don't try it. After separating the point from the flat, I scrape ALL the fat off of each. Then you can slice each one across its grain. The point is fattier, more marbled, and is often returned to the grill for "burnt ends". The hot fast brisket method will NOT dry out like shoe leather! It is fast, easy and foolproof. We have a sticky on it in "Techniques" and it is well described on numerous BBQ forums. Here's one:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

The cooking temperature IS NOT critical!!! The pre-foil phase can be anywhere between 200 to 375. The hotter you do it the faster it will be finished. The post foil phase can also be done at any temperature from 200 to 375. You will get excellent results. Of course the "high temp" method is done for speed, but if you are just lazing around and don't care how long it takes you can do it lower and slower. What makes it come out so good is the FOIL phase. And the finish is not by the meat temp, it is by tenderness. I poke mine with a shish kebob skewer to test. Start testing one hour after foiling and then every 30 minutes after that.

If you don't cook briskets on your KK, you are not using it to it's maximum potential!

Last weekend I went to one of the famed Texas BBQ shops, The Hard Eight, in Stephenville.

They do their briskets with a foil phase. Enough said.

You will not get a super crisp bark. That, however is not the sole measure of a good brisket, and this method with foil will beat the pants off of a non-foiled low and slow that dries out like leather.

Once you do your first one, you will want to do them all the time, you really can't screw it up.

Wow, very informative. Thanks for all the information. You told me to cook pork butts as one of my first cooks and I listened to you. And that turned out very very good! So I must listen to you again and go ahead and do the brisket. I will look up and research cooking briskets on the Internet and read the stickies. I will also go through Larry's video another time or two and write down everything I need to do. I am not sure when I will do the brisket but when I do I will surely let you know. Thanks for your feedback on this cooking technique and Larry thank you again for the great video. Thanks!