waldo

Pork ButtCook/ Sauce Advice

I am doing a pork shoulder - 16lb cut in half this weekend. Looking for some advice. I do not have any extruded charcoal and have learned I may need up to 16 hrs. of cook time to reach 185/90 at 220/25 temp. I don't think my charcoal will last that long.

I am also looking for advice for sauces to go with apple smoke. Going on a fishing trip with the guys - pulled pork on a bun with sauteed onions on the side. :D

any ideas would be appreciated!!!!!!

waldo

Re: Pork ButtCook/ Sauce Advice

Your 16 pounder is cut into two 8 pound halves, right? If so, I think your estimating rather long on your times. I would say 10 hours should do it, and don't be afraid to go up into the 250 degree neighborhood either.

You will be fine with regular lump. Just fill the basket up to the top of the basket handles to be sure. I've even had my heat deflector sitting on top of a heap of lump before, letting it burn down on to the handles.

Sauce is a personal preference thing. Personally, I like to have a vinegar based sauce on hand, and a sweeter one too. Search the forum for Lexington red, it's a spicy vinegar sauce Dennis posted way back when. The other I like is the raspberry chipotle that's posted a couple times here and on other forums too. That raspberry chipotle is pretty sweet, so I sometimes cut the sweetness in half and it's still very tasty.

Hello Waldo,

I really don't think you are going to run out of charcoal. I did pp a couple of months ago for our son's bd. One at 17.5lbs and the other at 18lbs. I filled the basket with royal oak lump. I started heat soaking the kk at 8:00 pm Friday night. I reached 225F about 2 hours later. At this point we put the meat on. One on top of the other. Went to bed and woke up at 5:00 am Saturday morning. The dome temperature had gone up a little bit. I took out the top one at 12:30 Saturday. Wrapped it up in Al foil and bath towels and in to a cooler. The second we took out at 5:00 pm Saturday. I had enough charcoal left to do shrimp brochettes. The kids went crazy. They were all happy to go home with the left overs.

We always use the ultimate bbq sauce as described below. It requires a bit of work but it is worth it.

The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce:

1 slice bacon

1 bunch fresh thyme

Extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

2 cups ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup molasses

2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika if available

Freshly ground black pepper

post-6676-139082391225_thumb.jpgpp 002.jpg[/attachment:3k2nmsu0]

post-6942-139082391211_thumb.jpgpp 003.jpg[/attachment:3k2nmsu0]

post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgsm 001.jpg[/attachment:3k2nmsu0]

sm 002.jpg[/attachment:3k2nmsu0]

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the comments, pics, and help. I have some fresh thyme in the garden and will make both sauces - raspberry chopotle and the ultimate bbq sauce. Should I mix the pork in the sauce and freeze for the weekend? ( Sept 28) or add the sauce to the pork when served? or add the sauce to the onions when sauteed? or keep the sauce as an add on for each person? I would like to offer both options and perhaps one with no sauce??

Hephaestus had one on the upper or main grill and one on a rack below. In this configuration, the one on top gets done much earlier - especially since his temps snuck up on him. When I first got my KK I experimented a little with a oven thermometer, and if I recall correctly the upper grate was about 20 degrees hotter then the main grill below it, especially with the deflector in place. One would expect those differentials to equalize over a long cook, but in practice I've experienced the same thing he did, the higher up stuff cooks hotter and faster.

Five huge coonhounds and a tiny little 7 pound beagle puppy running around the house, it's mayhem. She was being tortured with fireworks when our friend snatched her away from the perps. She is 100% none the worse for it, somehow. Completely active, happy, fearless, socializes with all people and animals. We just lost our 14 year old sheltie/shepherd and Penny thought it was divine intervention that Abbey fell in to our lap!