Smokydave

So beefy

I bought a "Round Tip" at Costco this week. Ten pounds of primal goodness. Rubbed it with the coffee cardamon rub the night before. Put it on at about 9am yesterday and smoked it with oak for about 7 hours at between 280 and 300. Near the end I took it up to 330 to get some crust. Put it in a pan and foiled when it hit 185 to hold it. My intent was to slice and not pull. When my wife got home after 6, we sliced it and ate it on Portuguese rolls with some sharp provolone. I made some sauce from reduced beef stock and some mushrooms. The meat was beefy and the rub was great as always. It was just a little dry--I think this cut doesn't have as much fat as a shoulder would. The bark was awesome. I should have put it in the pan much earlier in temp and poured a dark beer in it like I usually do so I have some juice to pour over it. Here it is rubbed down: fetch?id=68718 And partly sliced: fetch?id=68717 And some sliced and some falling apart: fetch?id=68716 Tonight we're having boneless rib eyes that I just sliced and seasoned. Mine is over an inch thick. Going to cook it with the new basket splitter I bought from Dennis. Wish me luck--I've not grilled on my KK yet (although I've set a record for myself and BBQ'd 14 weekends in a row now, since I got my big-bad-mama-jamma).

Re: So beefy

Next time cook it to 125 internal temp. Let it rest for awhile or better yet put it

in the refrigerator overnight. Slice thin. If you want something like Italian Beef, beef broth. Sauté onions and peppers first. Them the broth. Put the sliced beef in the liquid and let the meat cook to desired liking.

This is how we learn.