Robalo247

Second cook on my KK - trying a brisket

Just took delivery last week of my new baby ( as my wife would say) terra blue 23 inch. I am going to attempt a fast cook of a brisket I picked up today. What is the best wood to pair with this meat ? Also how much charcoal should I use ? The brisket is about 11 lbs. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks

My experience with a KK brisket and beef long bones

1. Removed the top layer of fat from the top of the 12# choice brisket and saved.
2. Removed hard fat on sides and underneath where possible and discarded
3. Smeared on yellow mustard
4. Mixed 1 cup Texas bbq rub and 1/4 cup  Hatche's medium chili powder then rubbed it on fairly heavy all over and replaced the fat previously removed.
5. Tightly wrapped Brisket in several pieces of saran wrap then aluminum foil and placed in refrigerator for 4 days ( 96 hours). Just a fluke, the kids canceled coming over for Sunday dinner at the last minute.
6. Removed and unwrapped the brisket and let sit on kitchen counter for about 1 hour as I prepared the KK and while it was warming up.
7. Placed large piece of very old dry apple wood 4-5" long by 3"-4" diameter in the middle of the briquette basket then over filled briquette basket so it would last thinking this would take a long time.
8. placed the clay heat deflector with large side up on top of  briquette basket then placed the grill with longest legs to elevate the grill the highest for 
the full of water large aluminum pan 11" X 13" x 3" to just fit under the brisket, then added large grill for the brisket to sit on.
9. lit the center of the charcoal in a small area with my trusty weed burner to avoid getting too large a fire.
10. Opened top and bottom vents to get coals going and after 15-20 minutes placed brisket on the grill and plugged in my Thermoworks meat thermometer into the thickest part of the brisket and the grill temp probe was supported on a 3" aluminum wrap ball set about 1" above the meat to get an accurate idea of the cooking temp. Turned out the KK thermometer was just as accurate as the Thermoworks.
11. Shut the KK air vents down when grill hit about 150 degrees but temp got away because I had over filled the briquette basket. I wanted to run at 240-260 low & slow instead ran at 300 or slightly over until brisket was removed.
12. Checked brisket temp after 6 hours and found it was almost 175 on the large end near the back side of the KK but the front of the brisket was only 155 so I turned it 180 degrees and to equal out brisket temperature. After two hours the temperature of brisket was equal on both ends, I turned brisket again 90 degrees to avoid front end getting too hot internally until finished. I think the reason for the wide temperature variation was due most likely to the way the KK reacted to the placement of the indirect plate.
13. Removed Brisket and placed on a serving plate and covered with tin foil for 2 hours then sliced thick slices and it was the best yet.
14. Brisket sat out of the refigerator for 1 hour sitting on kitchen table and 7.5 more hours in grill to reach 190 internally.
15. I have tried several times to use my smoke cooker, for up to 18 hours obviously going low and slow and never have I ever even come close to the job the KK did for tender and the bark was great.
16. the next week I did beef long bones four at a time, with same results.