tony b

Died and Gone to Meat Heaven

Is there anything in particular that your friend likes to make?  I'm really interested in the whole charcuterie idea and had my husband buy me an electric meat grinder for Christmas a couple of years ago but I haven't opened the box yet. If I'm ever so fortunate as to have more time on my hands, I'm definitely going there - especially after my great experience with the bacon and seeing things like Dan's Andouille sausage. 

I have hundreds of Thai dragon hot peppers in my garden that I need to do something with. Normally I grow jalapenos and make hot sauces from them but I don't know if these peppers would be good for hot sauce because they don't have hardly any flesh. The walls of the pepper are very thin - kind of like a cayenne pepper. Habaneros and ghost peppers - WHOA - too hot for my blood!!! 

He's very into sausage making right now. He's supplying a couple of restaurants in town and maybe expanding to a third soon. He also sells to folks on the side. He just upgraded to a 20# stuffer to help keep up with the orders. I've gotten his cheddar brats, hot links, and was a "trial taster" for his breakfast links - he's still working out the recipe on those. He does both fresh and smoked sausages. He's been doing bacon, corned beef and pastrami for a while, too. He has a "day job," so he's strapped for time, but wants to eventually do more things like copa, prosciutto, mortadella, etc.

As an "oh, by the way," he inherited my old POSK and has managed to keep it functional, despite the top hat falling off. He just stacks washers on the lid to the desired gap and sets the top hat back on it. 

I have hundreds of Thai dragon hot peppers in my garden that I need to do something with. Normally I grow jalapenos and make hot sauces from them but I don't know if these peppers would be good for hot sauce because they don't have hardly any flesh. The walls of the pepper are very thin - kind of like a cayenne pepper. Habaneros and ghost peppers - WHOA - too hot for my blood!!! 

Tabasco peppers are very similar, so you could try a small batch and see if it works. Or blend them in with some "meatier" peppers like Anaheims. 

I am a certified "chilehead!" I have every issue of Chile Pepper magazine ever published. One whole shelf in the door of my fridge is bottles of hot sauces, as well as half a shelf in my pantry. (The other half is BBQ rubs!) One of my favorite places to visit is Peppers of Key West - they have a "tasting bar" where you can try just about any hot sauce, salsa, BBQ sauce, etc. in the store. I'm like the kid in the proverbial candy store!!