CeramicChef

First Sous Vide Cook - Tri Tip

Howdy KKers!

in a recent conversation with Dennis Linkletter he was extolling the virtues of sous vide cooking.  He told me that the ANOVA Sous Vide controller was now under $200 on Amazon.  I've never really been interested in sous vide cooking, but for that price, I'll try just about anything.  I mean when you're shelling out the money for a KK, what's a couple of Franklins here or there, right?!  LOL!!

So I get an ANOVA and today I decided to do a Tri Tip I've had in the refrigerator for almost too long.  SWMBOI really loves Tri Tip and so I'm bound and determined to baptize this Tri Tip and the ANOVA at the same time.

Let's unpack the ANOVA and see what we have.  Here it is as it was delivered.  The ANOVA unit itself came very well packed.

post-1637-0-22088800-1425507757_thumb.jp

post-1637-0-72409600-1425507791_thumb.jp

Here is the ANOVA unit out of the box and on the table.

post-1637-0-93096700-1425507945_thumb.jp

This unit is quite substantial and is very solidly built.  Good quality.

Now on to the Guest of Honor and the means whereby we will stay hydrated for the duration of this cook!

post-1637-0-84469600-1425508057_thumb.jp

post-1637-0-76569600-1425508091_thumb.jp

Here is the Guest of Honor oiled up with good olive oil and wearing a nice coating of my Embarrassed Zebra all purpose rub.  

post-1637-0-01792000-1425508192_thumb.jp

And now it's into the Belly of TheBeast at 500F for about 3 minutes per side.

post-1637-0-99017500-1425508265_thumb.jp

Now we have to pull the Guest of Honor and seal it using the Food Saver.  I added a few springs of rosemary.  No big deal.  The results of that look like this ...

post-1637-0-83684800-1425508370_thumb.jp

Now it's into the Anova Sous Vide Bath.

post-1637-0-12031100-1425508452_thumb.jp

And here is what the ANOVA Sous Vide until looks like as it operates.  

post-1637-0-59387000-1425508503_thumb.jp

The temperature of the bath is 111F on its way to 131F (perfect medium rare) and it'll cook for 44 hours.

More to come in a couple of days!  I think this is going to be the ULTIMATE tease cook!   rolling.gif

• Like 2

From another Forum, I was given the following link that seems to be quite helpful for the budding Sous Vide Chef.  It relates time and temperature for delicious sous vide cooks for a wide range of potential cooks, i.e. vegetables, shellfish, fish, tender cuts, fowl, tough cuts, etc.  

I thought y'all might find this as helpful as did I.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, CC. Love the map!

I see you got the original version of the Anova and not the 2.0 version. I have the same one and was looking for feedback from anyone who has the newer version for comparison. The clamp on mine hits right under the lip of my favorite stock pot. Another 1/4" of clearance and it'd be perfect!

Waiting to hear how it comes out. Fingers crossed for ya! That's a lot of rosemary for a 2 day cook. One of the "tricks" of sous vide is to back off on seasoning, as the cooking times are so long and the cooking volume is a small fraction of normal braising, so you're not worried about dilution of flavor in a lot of liquid.  

btw - 2 thumbs up on the Woodford Reserve. :thumbup:  :thumbup: Big fan of their Double Barrel. They were one of my stops on the Bourbon Trail this past summer. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, CC. Love the map!

I see you got the original version of the Anova and not the 2.0 version. I have the same one and was looking for feedback from anyone who has the newer version for comparison. The clamp on mine hits right under the lip of my favorite stock pot. Another 1/4" of clearance and it'd be perfect!

Waiting to hear how it comes out. Fingers crossed for ya! That's a lot of rosemary for a 2 day cook. One of the "tricks" of sous vide is to back off on seasoning, as the cooking times are so long and the cooking volume is a small fraction of normal braising, so you're not worried about dilution of flavor in a lot of liquid.  

btw - 2 thumbs up on the Woodford Reserve. :thumbup:  :thumbup: Big fan of their Double Barrel. They were one of my stops on the Bourbon Trail this past summer. 

tony - Hope that map does us all some good.  I did not know until that tri tip was already in the bath to really back off the species, seasonings, etc.  Well, tri tip never goes to waste around here so we shall see what we shall see.  

As for the Woodford, I've been drinking that forever.  My Father was a bourbon man and he only drank really good stuff.  Woodford was his favorite and is mine as well.  It's actually affordable.  And smooth as a baby's butt!  

I learned while on the Bourbon Trail tour that I am more partial to higher rye content bourbons (spicier). So I also picked up a bottle of the Willett Family Reserve Rye Whiskey (6 Year Old). It's also pretty damned tasty!

Good luck on your quest and hope that you find some to try!

• Like 1

MAJOR SCREW UP UPDATE ALERT!

Ok, KKers, as many of you know it's the liturgical season of Lent.  I'm also a Catholic.  During Lent on Fridays, we abstain from eating meat.  Sooooooo, the Tri Tip that was going to hit the plate this evening is going to hit the plate tomorrow evening.  I'm so sorry about this.  I should be able to count better than that!  I'll post the Tri Tip cook when it happens.  I took it out of the bath and it feels amazing.  We'll see how it tastes in a dy or so.

Thanks for understanding.  Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!  

• Like 1

Happy to see you are on board with both the sous-vide kick and tri-tip!  I just did my first 2 TT in SV last weekend and you have something to be excited about.  I did mine at 131 for about 28 hours and then ice bath for a full hour before into the fridge for a rest.

I did not sear first, but ended up doing a hard sear before plating.  A few weeks ago, I did a similar cook with London Broil and warmed the beef back up after a full chill at 120 in the bath prior to a hard sear.  Was amazing-

SWMBO said the tri from last weekend was the best ever... ever... ever...

The other TT I put in SV is in the freezer now for an evening when I feel lazy-  

So excited to see and hear how your first cook went!  Cheers- P

• Like 1

For the water tub:

I use cheapo styrofoam coolers.

Notch the tops to slide heaters through.

(Duct tape over a piece of hard plastic is used to protect cooler from clamp)

Two cheapo coolers slid together make a great insulated tub

(Pick the sizes you need for the cooks)

MAJOR SCREW UP UPDATE ALERT!

Ok, KKers, as many of you know it's the liturgical season of Lent.  I'm also a Catholic.  During Lent on Fridays, we abstain from eating meat.  Sooooooo, the Tri Tip that was going to hit the plate this evening is going to hit the plate tomorrow evening.  I'm so sorry about this.  I should be able to count better than that!  I'll post the Tri Tip cook when it happens.  I took it out of the bath and it feels amazing.  We'll see how it tastes in a dy or so.

Thanks for understanding.  Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!  

Do you think it will keep till tomorrow????

Happy to see you are on board with both the sous-vide kick and tri-tip!  I just did my first 2 TT in SV last weekend and you have something to be excited about.  I did mine at 131 for about 28 hours and then ice bath for a full hour before into the fridge for a rest.

I did not sear first, but ended up doing a hard sear before plating.  A few weeks ago, I did a similar cook with London Broil and warmed the beef back up after a full chill at 120 in the bath prior to a hard sear.  Was amazing-

SWMBO said the tri from last weekend was the best ever... ever... ever...

The other TT I put in SV is in the freezer now for an evening when I feel lazy-  

So excited to see and hear how your first cook went!  Cheers- P

You might try using a small torch for searing, quet handy.

Howdy KKers!

The Tri-tip is resting comfortably in the fridge and it's gotta keep until tomorrow or SWMBOI will have my tush!

Cook - I like that styrofoam cooker idea. I really do. Cheap and effective.

Montana - congrats on a great cook! If SWMBO likes it, what else matters, right?