bryan

Flank Steak

I own a fish basket too, but never use it. Even when I oil it up good, the fish still seems to stick to it - and you have the add-on of it sticking to both sides of the basket, so I ended up tearing up the fish trying to get it out of the silly basket. I'd rather just deal with one grate at a time. If you're patient, the fish will release from the grate (or pan) when the crust forms. YMMV.

After this cook, I'll be eating a lot more fish! 

I hear ya'll about being financially frugal. Being retired, I have to be. It's a challenge sometimes, but worth it in the long run. My house is paid for and I have a very low interest (0.9%) car loan - practically free money! Try and pay off my credit cards each month. But, at the same time, life is too short to not enjoy yourself, so spend your money wisely on things that bring you pleasure, as long as you stash away for that rainy day and retirement first. 

There is nothing wrong with having a couple of mortgages. If you can afford them, if the cost of capital is less than the annual appreciation do the property, and the rent paid on the income property outweighs the mortgage payment, what you have is a very wise investment.

If you understand arbitrage, you understand how real estate and other opportunities work.

All debt is not bad. Debt that underperforms it's next best opportunity is bad.

Mortgage interest is tax deductible. Nobody bothers to take that into account when doing the calculation.

On rent property it's a business expense. Furthermore, depreciation on the physical asset is also a business expense.

I'm not really certain as to your question, but I hope I've given you some pointers.

kravnh 

This might be of interest.

I make due payment adding on the next months principle. Results = just saved that months interest. Saves big bucks on first half of loan. Just print schedule and mark out payment and added principle being made (so I always know where I am on he loan)

What say you?

http://www.amortization-schedule.info/calculator

Any time you make an additional payment of any sort, in the memo area of the check you must specify that said payment is to be applied ONLY to the principal amount. That saves huge amount of interest over the life of the loan.

The other trick that bankers hate but is a very valid loan technique is to ask for a mortgage where you make payments every two weeks. This really reduces interest over the life of the loan.

You can also opt for a 15 year term versus a 30 year term. Combine a 15 year mortgage with pmts every two weeks and you're golden!

There are all kimds of means of creatively financing a residence that will seriously reduce your interest payments. Especially if you own a business. And particularly if you combine the mortgage, your personal banking, and your business banking. These kinds of deals are generally only done by the Private Client Banking Sections.

All good advice. We pay extra on both of our mortgages, knocking down principle at a faster rate. A few years ago, we refinanced the house that is now a rental, going from a 30-yr fixed to a 15-yr fixed with a lower payment. We had already been paying more than required on the 30, and just keep paying that much on the 15. The new mortgage is a bit bigger, and refinancing isn't an option right now, but we are doing larger payments. I need to look into doing 2x/month payments to see if that is better than what we are doing now.

• Like 1