Firemonkey

meatloaf on the grill

After being inspired by porkchops post some time ago where he rolled his meatloaf in a screen, I decided to give the screen method a try. I simply bent my screens into a cradle, rather than rolling them tightly because I had coated the top with a mix of brown sugar and Ketchup to make a sweet crust. The screens were great to simply lift them onto, and off of the grill. I didnt even need tongs to remove them, since the screen did not get too hot to lift it from the top edges.

No recipe, but I would encourage all to use your favorite recipe and try it on the KK. These screens can be found at Wal-Mart for $.93 each, and they wash up just fine. I have used them for jerky strips and vegetables as well.

Cooking at 400 or so indirect:

dscn1602aue5.jpg

Ready to eat, along with a solitary piece of chicken for my vigilantly healthy mother:

dscn1604adv0.jpg

It has been a while, so I did another meatloaf tonight. I found a pizza pan in the drawer below my oven that works perfect for the task, too! Since any pizza i make come out of the KK, I figured i would give this pan a new lease on life. Its just a pizza pan with holes in the bottom.

I was craving the grill baked skins, so I made some baked potatoes to bring in and mash. Ended up stuffing some of the skins upon request from my wife.

The whole thing spent about 75 minutes on the grill, direct heat - 400 degrees, upper rack. No added smoke because ground meats pick up smoke very quickly. Results were fantastic.

img22153153039.jpg

img22143139185.jpg

Behold the shiny new upper/sear grill. The one i had been using exclusively went to White Mamba's house along with my well-broken-in heat deflector. I will have to christen a bright white one on my next indirect cook :o

img22133125814.jpg

Good looking meatloaf - definitely different than what we used to get from mom and that may not be a bad thing! :lol: YMMV

Do I detect cheese oozing from the meatloaf? Also, there appears to be a rogue piece of meat hanging out there all by its lonesome in the one shot... chef's taste? ;)

I used to hate meatloaf as a kid (sorry mom) and was kinda hesitant to try it on the KK, but it is certainly a favorite now. I'll try to remember to post the recipe we use, although meatloaf is certainly friendly to modifications!

BTW the screens that FM pictured are awesome for this.

Nope, no cheese in there.

Just ground beef, a little sausage, the leafy ends from a celery bunch, onion, green pepper, A1, Worcestershire, thyme, crushed peppercorns, a handful of crushed saltines, and an egg to hold it all together. Covered the top with ketchup and brown sugar blend.

That little morsel of meat was found in the package after I made the meatloaf, i tossed it on as a nibble for the chef but forgot it was there :D

Try a little Heinz Chili Sauce mixed in with the ketchup - adds a bit more flavor. I use a bottle of the stuff with a half cup of ketchup, mix half into the meat and save half for the top. I also hated bread in meatloaf but liked the idea of adding a starch so I use a cup of oatmeal.