ThreeDJ16

KK 911 - Things not to do! (please no replies - just tips)

Turtle made a good suggestion to me tonight. Many of us here are experienced at using ceramic cookers and really do not think too much about all those embarrassing or dangerous things we did and hope nobody saw. But it is not a bad idea to start a thread to discuss those events in order to prevent others from making the same mistakes. If it gets big enough, I could start another subject area; but figured I would start it here to see how it goes. So please give us your safety tips and "Hey, y'all watch this" stories! Yes, I too have tried to see just how big of a fireball I could get outta one - and it was pretty damn big as my arm hair and eyebrows can attest too.

-=Jasen=-

Please, lets do try to keep this thread clean by just posting helpful experience or tips and not a bunch of replies. That way people are not having to sort through lots of posts just to find the facts!

Thank you!!

Flash backs!!!! It is not a myth!

Well, I will start it off with the flash backs! Do not shut the grill down (closing both dampers) and then decide to just open the lid back up. Dennis has made things much nicer with his spring loaded lid and quick release latch so you can stand out of the way. But the best solution is to give it some air by slowly cracking the lid a little before allowing it to fully open. You can also open open the dampers back up before you open the lid which is probably the safest way.

Hehe, I know there are plenty of us here who have had personal experience with the flashbacks! So be careful!

-=Jasen=-

Tips Using Sear Grill!

While the sear grill is a great idea, makes cooking faster and more efficient (smaller, quicker fire uses less charcoal); it is not without some drawbacks. First suggestion I would make before using a sear grill is to buy a nice pair of silicone gloves. I grabbed a pair from Sam's Club for under $20. I burnt a many of arm & hand hairs off before I purchased a pair. Also, if you close your lid during searing and have the bottom damper all the way open, then the flashback tip above can still apply - so be careful with that. Another suggestion is an extra long set of tongs to reach in the grab the meat. I highly discourage long forks or the pigtail flippers since they puncture the meat letting valuable juices escape.

-=Jasen=-

Trips to the Out House

Trips to the Out House should be scheduled carefully. I filled the fire box, lit a couple chunks of lump with the MAPP torch, opend the flu all the way. When I came back from bidness I had a roaring fire. Locked it down tight to smother it and then decided to take a peak once the temp came down. :shock:

That is what they meant by flashback :oops::smt018

Don't use a hammer and tap

to remove the "plug" in your guru port. The "plug" is not a plug. It is the same refractory material as is in the rest of the body. I tried to pop the "plug" out by using a hammer to tap a short rod against the "plug" from the inside out. The "plug" started to come out, but it was still one piece with the metal guru port and it pulled the face plate off the outside of my new OTB. :oops::x I ended up drilling it from the outside in and then tapped it from the outside in.

Don't Try To Re-Open A Tightened Hot Damper Top!

Well, the title pretty much says it all. If your grill is thoroughly heat soaked, and you tighten your damper top closed, don't try to re-open is as the gasket could be loosened from the heat and fall off. Wait for it to cool first or do not close it tight.

Again, this thread covers it - hehe! Was a darn good thread, wasn't it? hehe

-=Jasen=-

Believe the temperature thingy

If your tempature indicator reads 250 degrees then that means that it is heated up to 250 degrees on the stem thing that is under the dial...

So if you grab the dial (that is relatively cool) and remove it to see why steam is coming out of the temp probe hole... well, lets just say that you should remember that the probe is 250 degrees.. :shock:

But don't worry if you have a short memory about what the dial said when you put your hand over it to pull it out... you'll remember soon enough if you do the touch test. :shock:

And be encouraged, your KK comes with a memory recall enhancer.. your recall speed will automatically be increase proportionally to whatever the dial said when you pulled it out. :smt045

High temps are great, but definitely different.

Lets face it, if you have been grilling on a gas grill all your life (and not a ceramic cooker) then there are things you learn by experience---yours or someone else’s! Those of us emerging from the gas and steal world have never cooked on anything like a 500-700 degree steak-searing machine.

My brother used to be a proprietor of a restaurant were they grilled some of their dishes at 600 degrees and he often laments that he can’t raise his gas grill temps to the necessary great steak temps like he could his commercial grills. (I smell a KK pitch.)

Anyway, after doing lots of low and slow cooks I decided to ratchet it up to a sear temp to do some steaks. Let just say the temperature of the handle rises a little faster when it is in the open position to flip steaks when the fire is at searing temp than when you are peaking at your pork buts and brisket, or basting your ribs or turkey at 200 or 300 degrees!

So when you open up the KK to flip those steaks after the sear, you may end up needing a hot pad to grab the handle to shut it back down. And if you don’t have a lot of calluses on your paws, you may also need a hot pad for shutting the damper down when you finish.

Happy cooking!