Garvinque

Tasty Cook-Off: Fried Chicken

Three chicken recipes are represented here I picked 1,3,2 as the ones I would eat in order. I will post the recipes!

Garvin

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN THIGHS
Servings: 8-12

INGREDIENTS
8-12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
Oil for frying

Buttermilk Marinade
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Seasoned Flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1½ teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Dill Dip
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped dill
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Honey Lemon Dip
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon red chili flakes

PREPARATION
In a medium bowl, combine all the buttermilk marinade ingredients. Toss in chicken thighs and marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for dill dip. Cover and let sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for honey lemon dip.
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for seasoned flour. Dip chicken in flour until chicken is completely covered. Repeat for all chicken thighs.
Heat the oil to 350˚F/180˚C in a deep pot. Do not fill more that ½ full with oil. Carefully fry chicken for roughly 7 minutes, or until cooked through (internal temperature should reach 165˚F/75˚C), and it’s golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
Serve with dips.

SZECHUAN PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN LEGS
Servings: 6-8

INGREDIENTS
8 drumsticks
Oil for frying
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Batter
1 cup cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup water

Spice Mix
1½ tablespoon Szechuan pepper powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Aromatics
6 cloves garlic chopped
2 tablespoons ginger chopped
1 cup dried chillies
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

PREPARATION
Pat dry drumsticks and season with salt and pepper. Air-dry in refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Prepare all aromatics for stir frying, and combine spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Stir together until evenly mixed.
Heat ¾ inch of vegetable oil to 300°F/150˚C in cast-iron skillet or large pot.
Whisk together ingredients for batter until smooth. Dip individual drumsticks in the batter to coat, allowing excess batter to drip before placing in frying oil.
Fry drumsticks 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove and rest chicken on paper towels to drain for at least 10 minutes.
Turn oil temperature up to 375°F/190˚C. Re-fry drumsticks for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning frequently. Remove to paper towels to drain.
In a wok or large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat. Once it smokes, carefully add aromatics and stir fry for 90 seconds. Add chicken and sprinkle half of the spice mix evenly over the top. Toss chicken and aromatics to coat evenly, then add the other half of the spice mix and repeat. Remove from heat.
Arrange chicken on plate and top with stir fried aromatics.
Enjoy!

Garvin

TEBASAKI FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
Servings: 2

INGREDIENTS
8 chicken wings
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Potato starch, to dredge
Frying oil, as needed

Sweet Soy Glaze
½ cup (100 milliliters) soy sauce
¼ cup (50 milliliters) mirin
¼ cup (50 grams) sugar
¼ cup (50 milliliters) sake
1 clove garlic, grated

Garnish
Toasted white sesame

PREPARATION
Preheat oil to about 160˚C/320˚F.

Season both sides of the chicken wings with salt and pepper. Coat with potato starch.
Fry the wings at 160˚C/320˚F for approximately 7 minutes. Remove cooked wings from oil.
Raise oil temperature to about 180˚C/350˚F. Return the wings to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain them on paper towels. Set aside.
Make the graze. Combine all the glaze ingredients in a shallow pan and bring it to a simmer. Reduce until thick. Toss in the wings.
Sprinkle toasted white sesame.
Enjoy!

Garvin

Love Szechuan peppercorns, so that one would  be my choice here.

My "standard" fried chicken recipe is something similar to the first one, but with Frank's hot sauce in the buttermilk marinade instead of the cayenne. I'll pass on those dipping sauces. 

The last one, all I can say is "Meh!" Nothing going on there for me. 

• Like 1