leejp

X-Mas Eve chuck roll... a little variation

Had the entire clan (10 grownups and 5 kids) for X-Mas eve dinner so I did a 17#er.

Nothing too out of the ordinary... Raichlen's Barbecue U rub with hickory smoke wood. However, I tried something new this time:

used a rack from a turkey roasting pan

put the rubbed chuck roll on the rack

put the rack on a disposable aluminum roasting pan

the meat went in at 9PM on the 23rd

reached 165*F at 11AM on the 24th (I foiled over the entire setup at this point)

came out 3PM on the 24th (195*F internal)

meat was taken off the rack, wrapped in foil+towel and put in a cooler for 2HRs (lost ~10*F during that time)

220*F~250*F the whole time

Here's why I used the turkey rack and the pan... After I threw the meat in the cooler, I caught the drippings in the pan ran it through a gravy separator, once the fat was separated, I poured the remaining juices (2-1/2~3 cups... a LOT!) into a slow cooker set on warm. When I pulled (just fell apart) I just threw the meat in the slow cooker where the juices kept it moist all night.

The turkey rack provides plenty of clearance for the smoke to get "underneath" the meat. No more opening up a can of beef/chicken broth or adding apple juice to keep the meat moist. Worked out perfect!!!

Here are the pics (unfortunately no pics of the gravy separator... too busy tending to guests while cooking).

The meat (with a bottle of beer for size reference)

118777863-M.jpg

On the cooker

118777992-M.jpg

165*F ready to foil (note, not much drippings at this point)

118778081-M.jpg

Foiled up (juices can't evaporate now)

118778229-M.jpg

End product

118778385-M.jpg

Some notes...

THis was my 1st overnight. I went to bed ~1AM and woke up at 7AM. I had the temperature alarms set at 260*F and 190*F. I did NOT have to get up at all during the night and woke up to the meat at 143*F and the cooker at 229*F. Awesome!!!

An observation... Until the meat reaches its plateau at ~160*F, the cooker temperature holds steady with little/no adjustments. Once the meat hits it's plateau, the cooker temperature will require adjustments. When the meat has broken through the plateau and the meat temperature is going up again, the cooker temperature I suspect this is because the meat is absorbing the heat at a steady pace outside the plateau portion of the cook. I never paid much attention to this in the past but with such a large piece of meat this was very apparent.

All in all another great KK cook... and Keep those drippings!

I have a butcher...

Actually a local farm market with a great butcher. If I buy the whole packer cut cut in the cryovac my butcher gives me the same price as the local warehouse clubs.

I got the 17# chuck roll for $1.99/#. I have gotten it as low as 1.69/#. Same with brisket. My butcher will charge me similar prices for the flat (with the fatcap).

The warehouse clubs have pretty big meat departments these days and the bigger cuts are more readily available than at the supermarket but I'm very happy with the "relationship" I have with my butcher. I'm very old fashioned. I don't shop at the big national chains unless I have to, I go to the local guys whenever I can even if it means I have to pay a premium but I make them earn my business with the service they provide.