PaulR

Rotisserie + Chicken

I'm going to cook a couple of chooks using my rotisserie this weekend.

Any tips on KK setup?

I'm thinking about 350-400 for the duration of the cook and use the deflector stone on the lower grill (or is that not required??).

1 chook will be plain with just some salt/pepper and olive oil :D

1 chook will have a rub :)

And for smoking I'm using mesquite chips (yeah yeah they just don't sell wood chunks down under..) :mad:

Never managed to get decent crispy skin on my WSM so I'm expecting the KK to do its magic... 8)

i havent yet had the opportunity to do chix on a rotis, but, my favorite method for doing a whole chicken is to set the kk for about 450 and then, once it gets up to about 225, throw on the hickory or whatever, and put the chicken on, and let it take smoke while the cooker "ramps" (no, i dont use a guru) up to temperature.

it gets a great smokey taste and crispy skin. i would try this method. if you wait until it gets to a high temp and throw on flavor wood (esp. if its chips) the wood will just ignite and burn w/o producing much smoke. i guess if you soak the chips (something i avoid) that might do the trick.

my 2cents. ymmv.

oh, just noticed you're using the mesquite. that stuffs pretty dense, and burns hot, so it might not be a problem at the high temps. i stay away from the mesquite in general too; just a matter of personal taste.