Baby Huey

A Dainty Ribeye

I have been doing a ton of cooking on my KK the last few weeks, but since it doesn't count until I post pics here I decided I would post last nights cook. I piked up this little 2.55 lb bone-in ribeye from my local Fresh Market (a grocery store that tends to have good quality meat).

Pq28gBxA.jpg

Just so you can get a better sense of scale, below is a pic next to an empty bottle of Dizzy Dust... I love that stuff.

gx2Npan9.jpg

I got the grill up to about 400 degrees and then threw on a sweet potato for my wife and a regular potato for myself. I cooked them for 15-20 minutes per side and then bumped the temp up to about 550.

Pq28gO0i.jpg

At this point I moved the potatoes to the back, threw on the ribeye, and let it sear for 2 minutes. I then rotated it 90 degrees and let it sear for another 2 minutes. Next I flipped the ribeye and repeated the above process on the other side. Here is what it looked like after the flip.

aV2tcDnr.jpg

I then closed the top and bottom dampers and let the ribeye bake until it reached an internal temperature of about 138 degrees (my wife likes things more on the medium side than I do, I prefer medium rare). Here is what it looked like after taking it off the grill and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.

aV2tcPR9.jpg

With the ribeye ready it was time to add our side dishes and enjoy the rewards of being a KK owner!

gx2NqrbJ.jpg

Man, that looks great...I am hungry too! I just want to know who got the bone side? That is my favorite part. Did you use the sear grill, lower grill or main grill?

Love Fresh Market's steak. We have one here too. But a new chain just opened called "New York Butcher Shoppe" and I had to try one of their ribeye steaks. My pics to come in a day or so after it drains (my quick version of dry aging).

Keep those pics flowing! No pics...didn't happen!

-=Jasen=-

Thanks Drunk_J. I just recently purchased the upper/sear combo. I'm not exactly sure how to use it as a sear grill since I have a classic not an OTB, so what I did was put the long handles (as opposed to the side with the short handles / legs) on top of the ceramic firebox. This lowered the grill cooking surface about 2" below where the main grill would have been. Should I have flipped it over (which would have meant that the grilling surface would be sitting directly on the stainless steel charcoal holder)?

Should I have flipped it over (which would have meant that the grilling surface would be sitting directly on the stainless steel charcoal holder)?

That is how it is used on the OBT models. Man it makes some nice sear marks too! I use this grill grate more than any other....and in the sear position.

The cool part is it doesn't really matter. You use them however it make food that keeps you and the significant other happy!

-=Jasen=-

That makes sense that things happen fast down there; however' date=' doesn't that make for more flare ups with the top open? How long do you sear before rotating and then flipping? Do you then raise your steak up to a higher cooking level for the dwell? Sorry for the 20 questions :D[/quote']

No problem. I have actually been meaning to start a high temp cooking thread so we can sticky at the top of the technique section. That way, everyone can post their method for new folks to see different ways.

I want the flare ups....hehe....I cook in the flame. Usually 60-90 sec, flip, 60-90, flip, then do the same thing again at 90 degree angle for marks. To be honest, at this point, my steak is usually done (depending on thickness). But one thing a lot of folks don't realize, you can control the flame with the lid wide open. On the last flip, I go ahead and close the bottom damper completely (as door is pulled out for searing). Within a minute, the flames will calm right down to some nice glowing coals. That is where I finish my steak (even really thick). I prefer the crispy fat edges this way verses dwelling (mo crisp...mo better).

-=Jasen=-

:diabloanifire:

Guess I am a Firemonkey too...hehe!

That is the doneness I am always striving to achieve. My family likes there steaks more medium as well, so that is about as pink as I can give them without receiving complaints that its too rare.

I love how evenly it is cooked throughout even though it is such as thick cut. Great job.