cruzmisl

I have a brisket coming on Saturday. Need some tips.

summary

Briskets can cook a little faster than pork butts. Over on the Weber Smoky mountain forum they have found you can cook them at 275 or more and get moister results than longer cooks at 225. I also discovered this by accident myself! There is some flexibility there. You can do them with or without a rub. There are a billion rub recipes floating around on the internet, and several here in the KK forums. Here's one we'e been talking about recently:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2935

The finish temp is also flexible. Anywhere from 180 to 200 are recommended, when you remove it from the grill, foil it. Some advocate an immediate chill down with cold packs. I just wrap mine in a big beach towel and leave them til serving time. They are often wrapped in towels and put in a cooler to hold til serving.They can hold like this for a long time, and still be served with their original cooking heat, which is best. However you can certainly reheat in the oven and it's fine. You want to be done earlier than serving time! If you do a 10 lber, a start time 18 hours ahead will give you adequate lead time to finish and hold the meat. It's really hard to screw this up!

If your brisket is a flat and a point (two different muscles), separate them after cooking so you can slice them correctly, across the grain. And read this:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm

Some good tips here; only thing I'd add would if you're really worried about screwing it up try foiling her at 165 and putting her back on until fork tender. All but guarantees a moist brisket.

I've done several high heat briskets (around 325/340) with excellent results. However, if you're into bark be forewarned, you don't get nice bark with a high heat brisket.

Good luck

Thanks a ton for all the tips. I was debating the foil vs. no foil option and undecided on which way to go. I like bark but I also want a moist brisket....decisions decisions.

The brisket is 11lbs. How many hrs per pound should I allow if I plan on a 250 cook temp? Any suggestions on foil vs. no foil?

Joe

On a ceramic you should be fine without the foil . . . I only use it when I know I have no room for error. It almost guarantees you a moist brisket.

With an 11 lb brisket I'd plan on 11 - 18 hours. I like to rest my briskets at least 1 hour. I find the better the grade of beef the shorter the cook time.

Make sure to pay attention to the direction of the grain as you'll want to cut against it.

Lastly, don't go by temp, go by feel, when a probe goes into her with no resistance, you're done no matter what the temp.

OK I have the brisket resting in the refrigerator with the rub on it. Its a 12.5lb hunk of beast.

Towards one side of the flat end it goes pretty thin, should I fold it over on itself so the brisket is a uniform thickness all the way across or just leave it?

Second, I normally use lump but for such a long cook I am considering using briquettes (Trader Joe's). Any ideas?

Thanks. I plan to put it on at 8:00pm and ready to eat at 6pm tomorrow.

Both the brisket and pulled pork are in the cooler waiting for company to arrive. I threw some turkey legs on since I had some extra coal so those are about ready to come off too. I pulled the brisket at 195 or so and separated the point and put that back on for another few hours for some ends. That's gonna be the best part. The flat definitely wasn't as tender to the probe but hopefully its moist.

We'll be eating in 3hrs so we'll see what happens.

Even if its not the best I always tell my guests "if you don't like it, p!ss on yah, what do you want for nothing" :D