mguerra

Pepper Mill

Re: Pepper Mill

Magic Bullet. It comes with the standard chopper-blade, and a flat blade for grinding stuff like coffee beans, or pepper corns in your case. Works great.

If you want something more decorative, cozy's mills grind faster than any other table-top grinder I've seen. He also makes a box-style grinder with a crank now, too.

Funny you just mentioned this Doc, I'm having a tough time finding chipotle powder at a price point I like, so I just bought 5lbs of whole chipotle's and tried to put them through my commercial coffee grinder. Bad news, the peppers are too leathery, clogged up the darn thing! So I'm considering either a magic bullet or an older meat grinder I have stored in the basement.And by the way, to clean out the grinder, my Polish butcher told me to use sugar in the grinder to clean it out, I poured in about a cup and turned the grinder on.Y'know, it worked pretty good! Now I'm wondering how my next pot of coffee is gonna taste!

And by the way' date=' to clean out the grinder, my Polish butcher told me to use sugar in the grinder to clean it out, I poured in about a cup and turned the grinder on.Y'know, it worked pretty good! Now I'm wondering how my next pot of coffee is gonna taste![/quote']

You can also use dry rice. Give it a whirl, and it'll clean out a grinder, too. :happy8:

Michael,

The Santos 1P is the best that I've seen but it's very $$$. I am not a fan of blade grinders because they do not grind evenly. Most hand grinders will only process peppercorns or other hard spices (no dried peppers, etc.).

Hopefully someone has a good all-in-one option that results in an even grind?

Depending on quantity, I use either my full size Cuisinart or my Cuisinart mini-prep for all of the above... I buy one of those big containers of peppercorns at Sam's or Costco, dump a cup in my mini prep and pulse till I get the consistency that I'm looking for depending on the application... Yeah, it is loud and makes a racket, but who cares...it is over quick. The mini-prep is great for mixing up quick rubs, pastes, and marinades...

Vita-Prep

For me, every alternative to the Vita-Prep has either broken or fallen by the wayside. It makes short work of pepper and pan-roasted chiles for large quantities of rub. Many devices can handle black peppercorns, but pan roasted chiles are more of a challenge, and they make the rub.

A 64 oz bowl and 3 amp motor is actually fine, the right size even for small jobs. The home market gets this wrong, then complains when a blender contents splatters the cupboards. Two teenage girls making a smoothie is a reasonable home application, and once our teenager realized the Vita-Prep was an option, the alternative devices never got touched again.

I've taken various Thai cooking classes where one spends an hour pounding curry paste ingredients together in a mortar and pestle. ("Authentic", but in Thailand one would instead stop by the outdoor market and buy an incredible paste.) Then one fries the paste in coconut milk cream, and continues... I get a reasonable facsimile in the Vita-Prep by blending the paste ingredients with same said coconut milk cream, saving me that hour. The only alternative I've seen that can come close to handling such a load is the Indian Sumeet Mixie, with spotty U.S. availability. Indian households swear by the Sumeet. It made me feel like I was back in India, and more often I found myself swearing at the Sumeet. I managed to burn mine out.

We just used our Vita-Prep last night to obliterate baby "pesto" basil leaves with the wet ingredients to make fresh green pasta. That, other devices could handle easily, but my point is one doesn't bother or remember one has other devices, with a Vita-Prep. Sort of like our KK taking over all backyard cooking functions.