talisker63

Hi from Melbourne

Hey

I am about to order a 23" for delivery into Melbourne.

Delivery is to a warehouse in Dandenong which is about 20km from my place.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get it from the warehouse to my house?

Costs? Risks?

Also are there any other members who are in Melbourne and would like to get in touch?

cheers

Andrew

Re: Hi from Melbourne

Hi Andrew.i live in Victoria, Gippsland,Raymond island. I own a kk 23 and iam over the moon about it. When I picked it up from Port Melb. drove to R.I. and had the Kk on the back of my trailer. Photos are on this site. Unpacked it with a few friends put it on my deck, I have a ramp for easy accessibility to my deck. So my advise is put it on a 6 by 6 trailer and unpack it with a few mates. Easy. If I can be of any help let me know. Good luck and congrats with the best cooker on earth. Frans.

Hey

Costs? Risks?

cheers Andrew

The guy with the furniture store in Dandenong can deliver for you and he is sooo much more reasonable than the other quotes I've received down under..

for example:

King Lake 3763 AUS$145.50 + GST

Port Melbourne, VIC 3207 AUS$112.50 + GST

Pennant Hills, NSW AUS$145.50 + GST

Forster, NSW, 2428 AUS$255.00 + GST

How could these prices be beat?

;);)

Oh Dennis you tease! I am just working out a choice between Green Glass Dark Bronze Dark Autum Nebula Kid's can't decide :) How long roughly to Melbourne?
Plan on almost a month to get there and clear customs.. Who you calling tease? You can kill two birds with one stone by choosing one of these tweed Dark Bronze with Auto Nebula tweed combos! :lol: :lol: fetch?id=67141fetch?id=67140

post-6370-139082399238_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082399243_thumb.jpg

Hey

Costs? Risks?

Also are there any other members who are in Melbourne and would like to get in touch?

cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I too have just placed an order for a 23" KK, expect it to arrive in Mel late August - really looking forward to it (I ordered the olive and gold pebble tile with side tables). Just wondering how you went with delivery of your KK, specifically how you got it home. Did you use the furniture store guy to deliver it, the prices do look reasonable. I need to get mine to Ivanhoe East from Dandenong.

How has your experience with your KK been so far?

In the meantime I'll be trauling this site for "how-to" tips and tricks. Even though I've only ever owned charcoal grills before (i.e webers and the old school grill my family used growing up), I'll be starting from scratch to learn how to use my new toy, so far limited to this forum, Google and Youtube.

Cheers,

George

Hey George,

just placing my order with Dennis.

Do you (or any other Aussies) want to share an order with JohnnyBoy for a cover for the new toy?

We know that winter in Melbourne can be harsh and it rains a lot in Brisbane...

cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, congratulations on your decision to take the plunge - I'm sure it will be a hit with family/friends come spring & summer.

I placed my cover order with JohhnyBoy when I ordered my KK a couple of weeks ago, so unfortunately I'll have to give your kind offer a miss. Its a very simple ordering process by the way, the hardest part is selecting which colour/pattern you want for your cover.

I'm still looking for a local supplier of lump charcoal though, any ideas? My local BBQs Galore sell the Kamodo Joe brand as well as their own brand, but I have no idea if either is any good.

Cheers,

George

It is difficult to import charcoal. It is classified as hazardous material and so becomes expensive to import.

I buy my charcoal from a local souvlaki take away food place! They sell me a 20kg bag whenever I ask and it is all natural looking stuff like branches and roots all carbonised.

Open to suggestions and also to getting some coconut stuff if import can be arranged...

It is difficult to import charcoal. It is classified as hazardous material and so becomes expensive to import.

I buy my charcoal from a local souvlaki take away food place! They sell me a 20kg bag whenever I ask and it is all natural looking stuff like branches and roots all carbonised.

Open to suggestions and also to getting some coconut stuff if import can be arranged...

Andrew,

I was thinking the same for the first few cooks until I get the hang of it all (i.e. source my charcoal from local take away shops that use charcoal or from BBQs Galore). I've found another supplier in Dingley Village who supplies charcoal to restaurants, but haven't checked out his product yet.

I visited the furniture guy's shop yesterday in Dandenong to discuss / agree transport back to my place. He wasn't there, spoke to one of the other staff instead. I noticed he sells some nice furniture, so if you are into cane outdoor furniture (like I am), you might want to check it out. I eventually buckled and picked up an outdoor setting, organised for it to be delivered with the KK when it arrives, end Aug/start Sep.

George

Hi George,

I found this info on the Aussie BBQ forum on general info on local Australian charcoal and at the bottom it lists several suppliers in Melbourne. Including the guy in Dingley village.

http://sosman.org/bbq/LumpCharcoal

Seems most of our charcoal is Mallee root or Mangrove. I have a bag of Malley root I got for a spit roast that I did last Christmas, so I will use that and then try out the Mangrove, just to see. It is certainly a more sustainable crop!

Summer is coming

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew congrats on your beautiful cooker I have a 23 o.t.b. bronze. As far as charcoal is concerned you may want to try this number 0412995969 his name is Robert he does deliver to you door. Wether he still operates I do not know. I bought 400 hundred dollars worth a few years ago.Good luck. Frans, a very happy owner.Waiting for the portable. Hint hint Dennis.

Hi George,

I found this info on the Aussie BBQ forum on general info on local Australian charcoal and at the bottom it lists several suppliers in Melbourne. Including the guy in Dingley village.

http://sosman.org/bbq/LumpCharcoal

Seems most of our charcoal is Mallee root or Mangrove. I have a bag of Malley root I got for a spit roast that I did last Christmas, so I will use that and then try out the Mangrove, just to see. It is certainly a more sustainable crop!

Summer is coming

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, will be paying this guy in Dingley Village a visit !

George