LK BBQ

KK Closing Seal

All, I found a simple fix to a problem I was having.  When I first got the KK, it created a beautiful seal.  The first latching position would already make a pretty good seal, and I could feel the second latching position really pull it tight.  Over the years, I had to push it to the second position to have it even feel closed at all, and I could see that there was even still a crack to leak air.  

I was going to mess around with replacing the silicone seals or replace/bend some of the metal parts in the latching system, and then I finally realized that you can simply loosen the two bolts on the lower part of the latch, shift the plate down, and tighten the bolts back up.  Presto, the KK seals as tight as it did brand new.  The plate had probably just shifted a bit over the years.  

I'm embarrassed it took me this long to figure it out.  Just in case this helps anyone else out there, I thought I'd post this.  I recall a thread about this long ago, but figured it might be a helpful solution for someone else too!  

• Like 3

It's not that the plate shifted, it's that the food grade silicone gaskets get a bit compressed over time and exposure to high temps causes it to shrink a bit.

That being said, I have many, many grills out there with the original gaskets well over 12 years old. I know this because I don't sell that many new ones.

But when the grill is latched in the second position, simple press firmly down on the handle.. if it moves down at all.. You need a latch adjustment.

• Like 2