Forrest

KK Hot/Cold Smoker Temp Running Away

Using the KK Hot/Cold Smoker for the first time and my temp has gradually carried all the way up to 330 Fahrenheit. My top vent is barely cracked off the seal and the bottom vent is completely closed. I have the aquarium pump on the lowest setting.

Anyone else experience temps running away with the KK external smoker? I’m assuming the smoker is adding additional air flow/oxygen and stoking the fire. Maybe I lit a bit too much charcoal with my torch? Otherwise I can’t think why the temp is out of control.

0794a2cc612a165bc8f37512d431c7ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your draft doors haven’t worked open.. otherwise it’s possible you lit too much coal.

I was able to push my lower draft door in about 1/4th inch I’m sure that was part of the problem, thanks!

On 5/31/2021 at 1:45 AM, Forrest said:

Using the KK Hot/Cold Smoker for the first time and my temp has gradually carried all the way up to 330 Fahrenheit. My top vent is barely cracked off the seal and the bottom vent is completely closed. I have the aquarium pump on the lowest setting.

Anyone else experience temps running away with the KK external smoker? I’m assuming the smoker is adding additional air flow/oxygen and stoking the fire. Maybe I lit a bit too much charcoal with my torch? Otherwise I can’t think why the temp is out of control.

Hi Forrest..
Always remember that temperature is airflow.. Charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the loud airflow.
Are you sure you had the lid latched?  From where the damper top touches the gasket what is "barely cracked" the ear moves how much in inches?
The smoker airflow is above the charcoal and so does not really contribute much to airflow thru the charcoal. It's always the damper top setting that controls the exhaust airflow which determines the temp..  And if it's not leaving the damper top, it's not airflow. 

Always light only a large orange volume of charcoal for low and slow cooks..
The aquarium pump on low would take minutes to fill a balloon.. it's not causing high temps. ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2