Kamado POG

Small Lump Wood For Smoking

Hi. I have a Kamado Joe III and have used it once very successfully for pulled pork. I want to start smoking a brisket tonight but I only have relatively small pieces of lump wood left and I can't source any decent large lump wood locally, so I would have to order it which would take 24+ hours to arrive.

Would the small pieces be okay to use overnight or do you think they would burn out (smoking at ~110C). I'm also concerned they may restrict airflow. Since it is overnight I can't  top it up (I'm not willing to get up at 04:00 to tend to it!).

Thanks,

Paul

Heylo Paul..  You wrote "lump wood"..  I believe you meant to write lump charcoal or lump wood charcoal. 
The technique Robert is talking about is for lump wood for smoking.  Small pieces of charcoal will reduce the airflow, which reduces the volume of charcoal you can burn, but this will only prevent you from getting higher temps 300º plus..
unless it's really small like marbles you should've no problem maintaining a low and slow cook..

• Like 1